Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

How do I reset the bios back to factory ? I've inadvertently set the security for all usb ports so now I have no keyboard / mouse (Don't ask - one of those days...) There is no PS2 port on this machine.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to open the case and move some jumpers to reset the BIOS to its defaults.

Please take a look at the link below and under the Jumper Setting section is a Clearing the CMOS procedure.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135925=

We all have one of those days at one time or another.  Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Thanks for that, I've tried that and still no go, the diagram looks wrong also (Doesn't look like what is on the board ?)

I have 

2 4 6

1 3 5

The jumpers are accross 2-4 and 1-3 ?

HP Recommended
No worries fixed it now
For future reference

Step : Reloading the BIOS default settings:

Turn off the notebook PC and wait for five seconds.
Turn on the notebook.
When the first screen displays, immediately start tapping the F10 key.
Press the F9 function key.
Select Yes or OK.
Press the Enter key.
Press the F10 function key.
Select yes or OK to save the defaults

Interesting security.... 🙂

Thanks for the help
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you got it sorted out.

HP Recommended

Hello

I have a p6-2462eo with the same problem and have tried to reset the bios but it does not work.

The jumpers are default at 1-2 and 3-4 and 5-6 is free.

I have tired to my the 1-2 jumper to 5-6 and remove all and use 3-5 but nothing works.

Any ideas somebody ?

rgds/per

HP Recommended

Hi, @perjoh :

Here's the problem I think...

The instructions on that link I posted way back when are slightly incorrect.

I have modified the instructions as follows...

To reset the CMOS...

Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.

Move the jumper to from pins 1-3 (default) to pins 3-5.

Plug the power cord back in, and turn the PC on.  The BIOS settings should be at the defaults now.

Shut down the PC, unplug the power cord.

Move the jumper back to the default position (pins 1-3).

Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.