Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hp Pavilion Kikuyu Prod. No. EXCUSEA#ABA    windows 7 home premium

The recovery D is showing in Red   Iamb free  of 12.6 KGB.

Can you advise me on how this has happened and how to correct it?  I have never had to use the recovery option.                                                          

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If your pc is not malfunctioning then I would leave it the way it is.  Sometimes, because the recovery partition of the hard drive is almost completely full (which it is designed to be), it will be red.  It's the same as if  you insert a thumb drive that is almost full.  The disk space will show up in red.  I encourage you not to remove anything from that partition.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The most likely thing is that something is writing to the d: drive (HP Recovery) that shouldn't be writing to it. Stop whatever is writing to the drive and attempt to remove the items not associated with the HP Recovery files.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended
Thank you Frank I'll give that a try.
HP Recommended

If your pc is not malfunctioning then I would leave it the way it is.  Sometimes, because the recovery partition of the hard drive is almost completely full (which it is designed to be), it will be red.  It's the same as if  you insert a thumb drive that is almost full.  The disk space will show up in red.  I encourage you not to remove anything from that partition.

Jonathan
HP Recommended

As I previously stated, the HP Recovery partition isn't supposed to be written to. Also, on every HP computer I have owned (over 10 of them), the partitions never became more full and never turned red. The HP Recovery partition typically is hidden and/or protected and is larger than the recovery files by a couple of GB's. Again, it should never turn red and only does so because some process is writing to it. I stand by my original statement that the rogue process(es) need to be identified and terminated, and that the non HP recovery files should be removed. If you leave the system as is, and the partition fills up, you run the risk of not being able to use the recovery partition if needed.

If you haven't already made your HP Recovery Disc set, I encourage you to do so at this time. This will allow you to recover the system even if the recovery partition becomes damaged or corrupt.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Just a couple of things that may help.  A user in this post thought along the same lines as i am.  Read the post at the bottom.  The customer never attempted a backup or intentionally/ knowingly put any files in the recovery partition but it was red

If you are receiving alerts/ errors about low disk space or just did a backup or both, these support documents can help.  Disregard if not.

Click Here

Click Here

Jonathan
HP Recommended

This was Very useful. It solved the problem. Many Thanks.

HP Recommended
Thanks for this. After doing a image restore, the recovery partition turned red for some reason. But from just viewing the files and then hiding them again, it got rid of the red bit and now it's back to the normal blue in Windows 7! 🙂 I didn't have to delete anything thankfully (there wasn't anything there that wasn't meant to be there), I guess all it needed was a refresh lol.
HP Recommended

Sir, My laptop hprcovery drive turned red and sowing  172 mb free from 24.5GB . what should i do for correct it.

HP Recommended

Not very computer literate.    I bought an external c drive (at the suggestion of a Computer geek.  did nothing to remove the RED from the Recovery bar. 

How do I discover what is writing to the partition? 

How do I identify and terminate? 

What are non HP recovery files?  

How do I make an HP Recovery Disc set?

Hope you can help.   Margaret 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.