Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (2,630 Views)
Accepted Solution

No AHCI option in BIOS . SATA DVD Burner recognized as IDE .

[ Edited ]

Hello , I am new to the forum and need some advice , else why would I be here ,  right ?

I have an HP Pavilion a610n desktop with the AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU . I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium . I borrowed an IDE DVD drive to install the new system because the original HP drive no longer worked .

After installation I purchased a new 24X Multiformat DVD Writer (HP DVD 1270i) and plugged it into one of the two SATA connectors on the motherboard (have since tried both ) and purchased an adapter for the power connection (4 pin Molex to 15 pin SATA) . Booted up the computer and the device was installed and everything seemed fine until I put an audio CD into the drive and it just sat there with the silly little icon rolling around . I tried a DVD movie in it next and it froze the computer .

I then went into the set-up to see if there was an option to switch from IDE to SATA or AHCI but there isn't . In the device manager the DVD is listed as an IDE drive so I believe that I need some sort of  BIOS upgrade to enable the SATA support . HP support has no new BIOS downloads for this computer on their download page . Only XP is listed as an operating system .  Is my only option to return the drive and get an IDE model ?

Sorry for the novel but I tried to give a complete account of my attempts at resolution . Thanks for any advice you can give !

Kernal Klink

Accepted Solution

Re: No AHCI option in BIOS . SATA DVD Burner recognized as IDE .

Kernal, welcome to the forum.

I checked the Product Specifications for a BIOS update. There is a BIOS update, but it is only for XP Home Media Center. The BIOS is dated 8/25/2005. It would not correct any problems that you are experiencing at this point. You could try reinstalling XP and doing the BIOS update, but as I said, it doesn't appear to correct any of your problems.

I believe that I would return the drive and save your money for a new computer. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.
View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (2,609 Views)

Kernal, welcome to the forum.

I checked the Product Specifications for a BIOS update. There is a BIOS update, but it is only for XP Home Media Center. The BIOS is dated 8/25/2005. It would not correct any problems that you are experiencing at this point. You could try reinstalling XP and doing the BIOS update, but as I said, it doesn't appear to correct any of your problems.

I believe that I would return the drive and save your money for a new computer. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.
-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Phoenix 860-170VR; i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 8 GB DDR4 memory; Samsung EVO 840 500 GB SSD; Radeon R9-390X video card; Win 10 Home

HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet w/Travel Keyboard and Stylus; Core m3 processor; 4 GB DDR4 memory; Samsung 128 GB SSD; Audio by
Bang & Olufsen; Win 10 Home

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (2,592 Views)

Old Geekster ,

I don't want a new computer . I don't need to have the latest , greatest and fastest processor . The one I have will do what I need it to do . My mistake was thinking that because there are SATA connections on the motherboard that I could buy a SATA dvd drive . I already know that I can get an IDE drive to work . I was just hoping that I could use the faster format that SATA promised . I mean no disrespect , you obviously have much more  computer knowledge than me and your recommendation is most likely what I will end up doing . Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome .

Kernal Klink

Provost
Message 4 of 5 (2,554 Views)

Kernal, you are welcome. Ya know, many times it doesn't come down to a load of knowledge. Sometimes you simply have to be lucky enough to come up with a solution that works. Approximately 65% of all computer problems are caused by software. So, I always begin with it. If that doesn't work, next comes checking the hardware. In your case, technology is simply moving too fast for your computer. My computer is almost 5 years old. It is doing everything that I need it to do, but the motherboard is obsolete. If I have a problem, it is new computer time.

Good luck!
-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Phoenix 860-170VR; i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 8 GB DDR4 memory; Samsung EVO 840 500 GB SSD; Radeon R9-390X video card; Win 10 Home

HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet w/Travel Keyboard and Stylus; Core m3 processor; 4 GB DDR4 memory; Samsung 128 GB SSD; Audio by
Bang & Olufsen; Win 10 Home

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 5 (2,490 Views)

O_G , I hear you and I agree with you and eventually I will get a newer model . However , I am very stubborn and refuse to throw away things that still serve the use for which I purchased them . I'm almost embarrassed to say that I was still using Windows 98 on my personal computer (desktop , not this one) until a year and a half ago . I had purchased three computers for step-children with first XP and then Vista OS's on them and I had 98  . It did the things I needed it to do and when it didn't anymore I inherited one of the computers as a hand-me-back . Which is the one I just upgraded to Windows 7 .

As a final note , I ordered a SATA to IDE converter from Amazon for $1.45 with a shipping cost of of $2.95 and amazingly enough - it works ! I had seen them advertised for over $20 .

Again , thanks for the reply .

Kernal

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation