Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I've recently got an HP Pavillion Elite 180uk desktop PC and tried installing a copy of Windows 7 Professional onto it. Everything seemed to install fine apart from one device in the Device Manager showing as 'PCI Simple Communications Controller'.

I've install all the drivers listed on the HP site for the PC and tried the various solutions listed on these forms. No joy so far. Was wondering if anyone could help.

The Hardware ID for the missing device is as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&SUBSYS_2A9C103C&REV_06
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&SUBSYS_2A9C103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B64&CC_0780

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
175 REPLIES 175
HP Recommended

Hi. I have exactly the same problem with my HP Pavilion p6575I desktop running Windows 7 professional. The thing is, everything works, including the modem and Ethernet so I am wondering what this communications controller is supposed to do? I have not been able to get any info from either HP or MS so I just disabled this device, but it sure is annoying to have an outstanding issue like this. I don't want to reinstall software if all is working, but somebody somewhere must know what the issue is here. Any information will be most welcome. Thanks!

HP Recommended
  1. Intel Driver Update Utility  Intel Driver Update Utility
  2. Intel Chip Set update  Intel chipset update utility

This is the 180UK motherboard.  Go to www.realtek.com and download the latest network and audio drivers after you do the above.

Also look here for HP released drivers.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

In my case, the motherboard is  the MSI 2A9C with Intel PCH H57 chipset. Does your advice apply to me as well? Also, I had Windows do an on line search for update driver for this pci device and it came up empty.

HP Recommended

Try the Intel driver update utility and see what it indicates.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Well, the saga continues! OK I viisited the Intel site and downloaded the Intel® Chipset Device Software installer . Now, this “installer” does not install any drivers on the computer! What it does is identifies the devices to Windows using the .inf file, so Windows recognizes the devices and then Windows installs the drivers. At least, that is my understanding. So I ran this program and it says it made some changes, but the pci simple communications controller still is not recognized by Windows 7, and still no drivers are installed for it. Consequently, I still have this device disabled in control panel and still everything seems to be working fine. Maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here? But I am a professional engineer in my own right and I cannot accept that this issue cannot be resolved! I have researched it on the Internet, and it seems to be fairly common..just Google pci simple communications controller to see what I mean. Right now, it is not causing me any problems that I know of, but the device is there for some purpose and Windows needs to recognize it and work with it.

Please, any more input is appreciated!

HP Recommended

Old_hand,

Go to Device Manager, find your device, click on it and select update driver software then search the internet for a driver.

I noticed that there is not much information posted under the p6575I PC.  I looked thru all the 6575 model PCs and only two motherboards were used and the number that you mentioned is not one of them.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your replies Big Dave. As it stands now, I still cannot find a driver for this device so I am keeping it disabled. I tried all of your suggestions and a few more and nothing works. Neither Intel, HP or MS can find a driver! Maybe it doesn't need one? But if that is the case control panel should not be telling me the device requires troubleshooting and PC cillin should not be telling me to install a driver! I give up for now but thanks for all your great help!

HP Recommended

Well, I decided I can't allow this thing to whip me.

I went into Device Manger and obtained the Manufacturer and Device codes for this thing.

The manufacturer code is 8086 which is Intel

The device code is 3B64 which is a Management Interface Device

Now I went back to Intel website and searched for a driver and found one.

What this thing does is monitor the thermals, something that I do not see with Windows 7, so no wonder Windows did not recognize this device. Also since Windows could not identify the device, the Intel driver utility could not help, it had to be done manually.

Anyway, the error is gone and all is well so color this one solved! Maybe now Windows will come out with a patch to monitor the thermals on the MB?

HP Recommended

Good show Old_Hand.  Perhaps you want to mark your post solved.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.