Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, according to the infromation I am looking at, you should have 4 slots - 2 blue and 2 black.  The first black slot, closest to the processor is slot 1:

I believe you get dual channel by populating the exact same make and model DIMMs in slots 1 & 3 (which is kind of strage based on teh coloring of the slots for this mobo - normally you install same dimms into same colored slots.)

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

I reviewed the information about installing new memory before I ordered new RAM & I apparently missed something, because it won't fit.  The one in the computer has one notch at the bottom & so does the one I received, but the new one is slightly off the space, so it won't fit.  The only difference I can find is that the one I ordered has DDR SDRAM and the one in the computer has DDR2 SDRAM.  Pardon my ignorance, but I know nothing about this DDR thingy.  Do I have to find one that has DDR2 SDRAM in order for it to work properly?  I tried doing the search on HP to see which ones were compatible, but my model is not in the drop down box & it's not that old.

HP Recommended

DDR is not the same as DDR2 and they are not interchangeable. DDR is for older computers.

Here is your support site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3377251

Here is your memory information:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC2-3200 (400 MHz)
    • PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
    • PC2-5300 (667 MHz, runs at 533 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • supports 1 GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 2 GB
  •  

Install the same exact type of compatible memory in sockets 1&2.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
    Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
    HP Recommended

i have read 13 pgs of posts & replies so far & i'm about cross-eyed! i tho't i had researched the type of memory i need for my hp a705w & compaq pres 5wv282 but i should have come here first.

anyhoo...after reading on the crucial website that both pc's can only handle 1 GB, i {stupidly} bo't 2-1 GB sticks...only to come here & find out i prob needed to buy 4 -512's. is this correct or can i use the 1 GB's? if i can, should i take the 128's out or just add the new ones?  trying to save a few bucks isn't always a good thing, eh?

thx in advance for your help. hope i can get these 2 dinosaurs up & running at full steam asap.

have a great wkend!

HP Recommended

See99go.. I can appreciate your eyestrain!  Opinion #1, don't go to memory maker's web sites to determine what fits your pc. They're in business to sell, not to give you specifics on your model, mobo, and other stuff.  The HP Support page is the definitive place to get your info since the same mobo can be used in different HP/Compaq models and "tweaked" specifically to that model.  Opinion #2, whatever memory was originally installed is your guide, i.e. density ,frequency., and number of pins (184, 200, 240)  According to HP Support, your A705w, supports a maximum of 2- 1GB sticks of DDR-PC2700 184-pin memory. Your mobo has only two DIMM slots.  As for the Compaq 5wv282,  when I ran the model # you posted, I got LOTS of red flags -- you need to post the model of the pc, i.e. Presario 8800 or whatever. Back to the a705w... check your old 128MB sticks for frequency and pins,  i.e.184-pin DDR (NOT DDR2 or 3) and PC-2100 or 2700.. your new memory sticks should work fine if they're within these parameters.  Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

just a quick question. I have a Compaq pressario SR2149UK desktop with 2 gb memory.  I'm thinking of upgrading to 3gb by adding a couple of 512mb memory cards.

Could you possibly confirm that "Kingston KVR533D2N4/512"  modules would be suitable for my system?

many thanks

HP Recommended

I have HP m7760n media pc.. It originally ran on Vista Prem 32 bit. I have 6 gb of memory. The pc saw 6 gb but ran only 4 gb. I just upgrade to windows 7 64 bit. System says it see 6 gb but usable is 4 gb ish (little less). Is there any way to increase the usable memory to close to 6 gb?

HP Recommended

Adding memory to SR5125CL (with ECS MCP61PM-HM motherboard)

Wanting to add memory to SR5125CL and the online literature states a maximum of 4GB.  Was curious if someone knew if this was only limitation of 32-bit Vista (previous - shipped with), or if  this was indeed a hardware limitation.  As I am now using a 64-bit OS.

HP Recommended

my s3200n slimline is horrifically slow. I don't know if the problem is the computer, lack of memory, or the horror of trying to run Vista on a PC. I decided to install a memory upgrade first since VIsta is a memory hog. I checked the HP website and discovered that I need 2 sticks of 2GB(each) PC2 5300 AM2 667MHz DDR2 DIMM. So, that is exactly what I bought. I installed the RAM and restarted the computer, but it gave me one short and one long beep and would not start. It just keeps on beeping, one short, one long.

I though maybe one of the memory sticks was bad, so I tried a single stick. Same bad result. I tried reseating and ever other simple installation check with no joy. Then I reinstalled the old RAM and the computer started right back up.

What do I do next?

HP Recommended

What is the exact memory product number that you had purchased?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
    HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
    Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
    Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.