Post new question
Question
Elite x3 reboots by its own, and sometimes freezes
Replies (83)

Tutor
Message 41 of 84 (620 Views)

Re: Elite x3 reboots by its own, and sometimes freezes

Update: It shows 17 app updates in the store but will not complete the downloads and update. I will hard reset and will not restore from backups.
Tutor
Message 42 of 84 (588 Views)

just wanted to throw this out there, been trying to spread the issue to see if anyone else is having similar problems or advice:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4SAC9NRNxHnM_ITtT126cwrva9dPTJ3v

I am going to the Microsoft Store today after work to get my replacement. Phone is basically unusable with my SIM card inserted.

Tutor
Message 43 of 84 (581 Views)

I have replaced it twice now at the Microsoft Store. The issue is the phone and I don't know what issue is causing this problem. I've tried many things and nothing has helped.

I've tried calling Hp on this but I can't get anywhere. There is no support what so ever.
Tutor
Message 44 of 84 (542 Views)

I could not agree with this^^^^ anymore

Got a replacement from Microsoft store and the issues have persisted. I've tried just about anything I hear from these forums and others but guess who won't help me, HP.

I've called and been through a loop of automated messages, I've been waiting for over 2 hours for online tech support despite me being #1 in the queue. 

Just got off the phone with a very well spoken and informed gentlemen who will look into this issue further. 

Tutor
Message 45 of 84 (536 Views)

So my phone has been doing it less.

Guys, I really hate how this is a problem and no one isn't attempting to solve it.

Let's continue to work together on this...

Start disabling certain features. Do some experimenting. A big one for me is the double tap feature. Since I turned it off, my phone has been doing quite alright. Less freezing occurs.

Try this out and let me know if it helps. I think the reason this phone freezes is because the hardware cannot keep up with the software. Or vice versa,, not sure.
Tutor
Message 46 of 84 (535 Views)

Hello everyone, my phone hasn't changed. Still having the same issues as everyone else. But I have contacted Hp Support and they are sending me a replacement phone to test. I hope this one works.

If want to get ahold of Hp Support it's easy. Go into Hp Device Hub. Scroll down and select Contact Support for assistance. This will open your browser and it will take you to Hp Support. In the the middle will be an option for to Chat with Hp. Click on that and it will ask for the type of device you have so type in hp elite x3 and select from the drop down menu. There will be a second time for you to select your device. Once you click on your device it will take you to another webpage and type in your device serial number. I think after that the chat will open.

Cheers,
Tutor
Message 47 of 84 (515 Views)

[ Edited ]

So I got a hold of HP suppot today and it was not easy.

First off, the online chat feature had me waiting #1 in the queue for over 2 hours. I tried calling but the Elite x3 wasn't listed as an option. So after being on hold for way too long, I called a different product's department and the guy there transferred me to someone who finally helped.

Good news HP is trying to make this issue right. I think it's related to the SIM card. I don't know how many of you are on AT&T but that is my carrier. Although I replaced my SIM card last week, and have a 2nd replacement x3, the phone continued to freeze randomly, but consistently. 

I was told to start eliminating variables since they're not really aware of this issue. Keep calling and make them aware. First step, do a hard reset, flash your device using WDRT, get the AU for the latest Windows Mobile build, and DON'T LOGIN WITH YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. DON'T INSTALL NEW APPS.

YES IT SUCKS BUT DON'T DO IT. (unless this is your only phone I suppose)

For me, this kind of defeats the purpose of having the phone but whatever I'll try it. Currently, I followed all those steps, and am running the device as it came from the box with the latest firmware and OS updates. I will only use it for calling and texting and see if it freezes over the course of the next few days.

HP speculates (as did Microsoft) that maybe there was a bad batch of phones that had an error with the SIM card tray and something is causing this problem along with the SD card problem.

If you do have AT&T, the guy also suggested trying out a T-Mobile SIM card to see if the freezing stops as it may be a carrier issue not supporting the phone. Again, kind of defeats the purpose of this phone if I have to go out of my way to obtain a different carriers SIM. And why that would make the phone freeze is beyond me.

I will update any findings I get or that are given to me by HP support. I have linked them with posts from this forum as well as Windows Central forums to make them more aware of the issues.

Hope this helps.

***ALSO***

if you have a solution, please share it. HP and the rest of us having trouble would love to know.

Thank you!

Tutor
Message 48 of 84 (508 Views)

zmancb7: I have a T-Mobile sim card and the issue is the same. So don't bother getting one.

I started my conversation with a technician on chat around 1:30am. I discussed everything that's been happening with the phone. He told me it was beyond his knowledge and he would have some one call me. At 8am Thursday I got a call from Hp support. So I went through everything and she said she never heard of this problem before but she was glad to help out. She did asked to change my sim card with the replacement phone and to update without logging my credentials. To update the phone all the way and to Reset my phone. Then we can load all my stuff and hope that it doesn't it works. I'm receiving the phone this Monday. I will keep you updated.
Tutor
Message 49 of 84 (496 Views)

Cool, thanks for mentioning that. Would have been a waste of time and money probably.

What were the names of the people who are helping you? Maybe if we get them all in touch with each other they can discuss solutions on their end while we continue to troubleshoot on ours.

The man I spoke to was Tenzin L.

So far, in the 3+ hours since I've done a hard reset and WDRT flash, I have not experienced any freezing. I have been texting consistently and using the fingerprint sign-in and no freezing yet.

I am missing all of my contacts, applications, media, and previous messages so a "minor" inconvenience but hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Tutor
Message 50 of 84 (363 Views)

I have had my elite x3 for a couple weeks now and I experienced everything you guys have. I thought I had solved the problem by using the standard non insider os and starting fresh with apps contact history etc but I was wrong. Every so often now, much less than when I initially loaded the phone with everything I wanted, it will crash when using edge or messaging. Having also had the 950xl and 950 I can tell you that I was running into similar issues, unfortunately I believe the problem is within the software or perhaps its compatibility with certain hardware. I also believe that dual sim makes the issue worse.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation