Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I would like to know the whole list of things that may cause my warrenty to become void. For example I do not know if running dual boot with windows and linux will cause problems with warranty status.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It should not void the warranty but you will not get any help from HP if you have problems with Linux. I would advise making the restore disks and if you have any problems be prepared to restore it to factory settings before trying to make a warranty claim on anything. 

Generally, trying to do hardware work of any kind that is outside a customer accessible service bay will jeopardize the warranty. The only screw you should turn is one on such a bay to access maybe hard drive and memory and possibly the WiFi card. Anything else puts you at risk. Many recent models have no customer accessible service bay so even trying to change a hard drive or memory is a problem. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Sorry, without knowing which HP device you are asking about, we cannot answer you!

You should be able to look at the support pages for your device and download the User Guide.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Sorry, it is HP 110-243w

HP Recommended

Perhaps if you asked us what you were contemplating doing to your PC, it would be easier to reply!

I doubt HP has an article that specifies ~every~ possible thing that voids a warranty...  😞

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Dual Booting windows and linux 

HP Recommended

It should not void the warranty but you will not get any help from HP if you have problems with Linux. I would advise making the restore disks and if you have any problems be prepared to restore it to factory settings before trying to make a warranty claim on anything. 

Generally, trying to do hardware work of any kind that is outside a customer accessible service bay will jeopardize the warranty. The only screw you should turn is one on such a bay to access maybe hard drive and memory and possibly the WiFi card. Anything else puts you at risk. Many recent models have no customer accessible service bay so even trying to change a hard drive or memory is a problem. 

HP Recommended

So in other words they could care less how I virtually install stuff?? its just how I treat the hardware... don't worry I never planned on opening the case.

HP Recommended

As long as you have a way to restore it to factory condition, who's the wiser?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.