Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp envy 700-481
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Grzwacz

Look for the BIOS updates under Windows 8.1 for your PC if you have the HP ENVY Desktop - 700-481no.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Nope.

Unfortunately, it will not boot if installed in your PC.  You will have a black screen.

The reason is that all of the NVIDIA GTX 1000 series cards have only support for UEFI BIOS motherboards. Your BIOS is a legacy type.

Take a look at the AMD\ATI Radeon Video cards that have legacy BIOS support if you want to upgrade successfully.

Sapphire technology manufactures powerful AMD\ATI Radeon Video cards that have legacy and UEFI BIOS support.  See the following link at NewEGG.com

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%2050001561

The Radeon r9 300 series cards have legacy\UEFI BIOS support. The Radeon RX Gaming series cards have only UEFI BIOS support.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello

Please excuse my asking one question. Very sorry, only try to help. :Crying:

Is your pC model envy 700-481no? I cannot find envy 700-481 model.

Envy 700-481no made by HP  starting in November 2014.

The Envy 700-481no has UEFI BIOS. This model (700-481no) also has 500 watt power supply.

Big problem is will card you like to buy fit in tower if you have Envy 700-481no. This card is 10.98 inches (279 mm) long. It also need a six and eight pin PCIe connection from power supply.

Again, very sorry to jump in thread.

I apologize.

Grzy

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz

Look for the BIOS updates under Windows 8.1 for your PC if you have the HP ENVY Desktop - 700-481no.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Grzwacz

You should read the how to select a video card sticky authored by @Big_Dave to understand how to measure for the upgrade video card. The link is below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Guide-for-Selecting-a-Discrete-V...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello everyone

Thank you very much for your help. I was not seeking help but trying to see if Envy 700-481 was correct model given by Kakkaa.

I could not find this model. An HP search only gave Envy 700-481no. Also checked 700-400 series HP Support and could find only Envy 700-481no.

My point was if Kakkaa has Envy 700-481no then it has UEFI BIOS unless HP Support site detals are not right (or I am doing something wrong when searching).

Grzy

HP Recommended

Yes the computer is 700-481no and therer is 6 and 8 pin connection. I think that video card will fit in this case 

HP Recommended

what is that UEFI BIOS. Does that mean I cant switch  gtx 1070 in my pc.

HP Recommended

Hello

You can if the 1070 will fit in your tower. Pretty sure the 1070 needs 400 or 500 watt power supply.

I have a similar tower. Long graphics cards may hit the HDD cage in this HP chassis. I could not use a graphics card longer than ten inches (254 Mmm).

Grzy.

HP Recommended

I have measured and the video card will fit in to the case. thanks for help 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.