Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix 810-430qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

According to this video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypos_nftjao Now I have a Phoenix 810-430qe with a 4790k. HP wants us to use software to overclock. That is no GOOD. Bios is the only reliable way to go. Since HP locks out voltages adjustments in the bios. You are at the mercy of XTU for voltage adjustments. I have read software like that can over compensate when overclocking. Which is not good. So HP. Can we get voltage controls in the bios?

Because as it stands. I cannot overclock in the bios with out voltage adjustments. I don't want to use XTU for that. The limited overclocking bios settings HP uses. Its more of a boolean. You cant actually do real overclocking from with in the bios. 

62 REPLIES 62
HP Recommended

HI @FattysGoneWild,

Good Day! 🙂 Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I understand that you need information about overclocking of the computer.  I will be glad to give you the information. 🙂

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 It is always a genuine pleasure to work with customers that display such a degree of technical expertise. You are a valued HP customer. It is a genuine pleasure to serve you. 🙂

Please note that HP does not support any kind of overclocking of GPUs or CPUs using either the bios or any other software as it is not recommended by HP. HP has designed and built the computer to ensure optimal functionality of the computer for regular users and consumers. Overclocking processors could damage the computer’s internals causing heat and other related system board damages and therefore HP does not support it.

It is done at the customer’s own discretion and certainly not recommended by HP. That is one of the reasons why the Bios options for overclocking is also restricted.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. :)\

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Thank you for the kind words. At the same time. If HP wants overclocking to be like taboo in their own forums and offer no real user support. Maybe they should with draw from advertising it and touting it so heavly with their gaming machines?

HP's own VP has even stated overclocking will be covered during warranty as seen here http://www.technewstoday.com/23388-overclocked-desktops-to-be-still-covered-by-warranty-hp-assures-g... Other press releases have said the same thing. So you guys are advertising one thing and telling customers another.

Lets get on the same page here. So if HP says use XTU (your own gaming product manager btw in the video from my OP @HP). So be it I guess if you really want to overclock. Maybe users can share settings and how to's in this thread. 

Using that XTU program for overclocking the cpu. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well. 

P.S. If HP is going all out with their gaming systems now like the Omen X. HP should take a page out of Dell Alienware offerings when it comes to allowing overclocking with the cpu. They give you a full variety of proper bios settings to allow real overclocking. Not a boolean like HP offers in the bios. 

I bet if a lot of customers knew this about the Omen X right now. It would effect sales. It could also effect returns even right now. Because when they go into the bios for overclocking. Only to find out its a boolean. Its practically smoke and mirror effect. 

oc.JPGCapture2.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi @FattysGoneWild,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@DavidSMP wrote:

Hi @FattysGoneWild,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

I do appreciate the offer reaching out. But, I respectfully must decline. Reasons being. My PC is out of warranty. HP will not offer me any support because of that alone. This is a bios issue across different models HP sells. Including the latest i7 6700k cpu offerings by HP.

Until HP adds proper overclocking support through bios with voltage adjustments. Users cannot do any or proper overclocking with in the bios. Its simply a boolean as I mentioned earlier creating a smoke and mirrors effect. We should not be forced to settle or accept working with software for overclocking.

It is no where near as reliable as working with bios for overclocking. I encourage people to make youtube videos or discuss here in the forums. HP needs to address the problem and allow users to properly overclock from with in the bios.

After all. HP is touting overclocking enabled with their gaming machines and customers are not getting that from a bios stand point to do it. Bait and switch. And to be blunt. Its false advertising on HP's behalf. 

HP Recommended

Will HP ever release proper bios overclocking like Dell Alienware offerings? We need voltage controls for we can properly overclock with in the bios. Common HP. How can you continue to sell these awesome machines advertising overclocking.

And you cant actually do it from the bios? Because the proper options do not exist to do that. These are the only options I have as seen in the picture. Even the new machines have these same options.

Its a boolean. That is all it is. You can also only set the core ratio limits to 45. Well on my particular machine with the i7 4790k. When you go to test this crippled overclock. Which really it is not a overclock any ways. It down clocks to factory speeds and will not hold.

That is because we have no voltage controls to increase it. For the overclock will hold. As I said. I encourage ANY and ALL Phoenix/Omen/Omen X users to post here and let HP know you are not pleased not being able to overclock from with in the bios properly. Do to limited options set by HP.

Even though they are selling these machines as "overclockable". 

HP Recommended

I just got my Omen X 2 days ago, had her all setup and ready. I planned to OC but it looks like it I won't able to OC it like I would of been able to. Being a HUGE Voodoo fan, this is VERY dissapointing. While i'm all for opening up Voodoo PC's to new people you also need to make them for experienced users aswell. I assume the limitations on OC'ing is for "safety" reasons to make sure newbies don't fry their CPU.  Again, I'm happy to see Voodoo PC's being opened to new users but it seems like they're being made only for them rather than for both. It's a high end gaming rig, it's need to have complete freedom over something like this. Voodoo PC's are supposed to be hardcore gaming machines, not locked down like your typical prebuilt home PC. Please turn this around HP, this is a big deal for us.

HP Recommended

Thank you for commenting and to let HP know about this. The more people are aware of this that are purchasing these new Omen/Omen X desktop machines the more it makes HP aware. Because this could drive off many potential customers or even worse. Cause people to return them to HP.  

I will give HP some time to react accordingly. But I will make a youtube video about this warning potential customers and also post on reddit etc. Eventually a tech media outlet might pick up on the story. One can hope. Because as it stands now and as I said earlier. HP is advertising one thing. And delivering another thing with a bait and switch tactic. Not cool.  

As a customer. I feel very taken advantage of and I never would have purchased this machine had I known this. I honestly thought HP was going to add more bios options over time to allow overclocking properly. As you can see. To this day. It never happened.  

And I am running the latest bios HP has for my machine. Which they just updated not to long ago. This issue needs to get to the highest of the highest people @HP. Its just a matter of finding that person. 

HP Recommended

So nothing @HP allowing overclocking with in bios instead of having to use Intel XTU? 

HP Recommended
My question is, what is the purpose of HP doing this? Shouldn't it be obvious to them that this isn't what a gamer would want?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.