Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
I am just glad I work for a computer chain and paid now where near the retail of this product. If I had to do it all over again know how much tinkering I would have to do to make it a proper gaming machine, I would have just built my own pc with a dual custom water loop.

Oh well hind sight is 20/20. Won't make that mistake again. Hopefully I will be able to get it to a stage where I can be happy and keep it for 2 years or so.
HP Recommended

@DX101 wrote:
I have purchased a Kraken x52 AIO to see if it can tame the thermal nightmare of the omen case with 2 GTX1080s. I am going to attempt to run the intel software to over clock.

Aiming for 4.6-4.8GHZ but we will see what is stable.
Will let you know how I go.

Btw for any omen x owner. Please for the love of god invest in a good static pressure fans. I replaced mine with corsair S120 performance editions. Still have no control over the speed I. BIOS and it looks like they only run at 900~1000rpm. And no where near the max of 2350rpm. That being said it is nice and quiet.

I am going for the NZXT Kraken as you can control the fans with the CAN software completely seperate from the PWM controls of the motherboard (or lack there of). So it allows more freedom for overclocking or at least getting decent thermals.

Please keep us posted overclocking with Intel XTU. I am very interested to read how it works out for you. I want to overclock my 4790K real BAD. But I don't want to deal with possible software issues like XTU that can happen. Bios you can at least get back in and reset back to factory quick. Easy peasy. Assuming if HP had actually given us real bios controls to work with overclocking.  

Intel XTU essentially unlocks the doors for all the overclocking options. HP just hides them from us with in the bios. Really stinks knowing they are there. Just hidden. BUT HP has in the past allowed voltage control in the bios as seen in the picture.

If HP is so worried about warranty. They can do what Alienware does. Have preset overclocking options like 1&2 that are SAFE and pre configured for the customer. I think that is awesome Alienware does that for their customers that do not like to tinker or scared to manually overclock themselves. 

0c00ba48_HPOverclockBIOS.jpeg

HP Recommended

On the same side like you I also am not a fan of OCing with XTU specialy as I dont have any control over the fans . I did one samll safe test just to see how it goes CPU 4.50 Chache 4.20 , no problems at all the system handels it like it is stock clocks however that' s not realy much and without propper BIOS and fan control or as you mentioned OC presets well..nothing spectacular can happen although the general feeling is it could go pretty high with propper set of tools and monitoring . 
However I would appreciate ih hp and the OMENT TEAM would take this seriusly ..2700$ and a feeling you own a powerfull Office PC???? ...noooot quite whatI have hoped for .

HP Recommended
I am told you can control the fans via speedfan software.
I haven't tried myself am told it is pretty comprehensive just not as user friendly as bios pwm settings.

Personally I am looking forward to what the NZXT CAM software that runs their Kraken AIO units is like. I have heard it is very good and user friendly.
HP Recommended
PSA you can't fit 240 rads in the omen X through normal mounts.
Very poorly designed case. I managed to mcguyver it into the front intake and even though there is only a single fan spot on the case at the front it mounts securely and even a 240 rad with sub optimal airflow performs better than the aio included.

Currently rocking 4.6gz stable on 1.3v with max temps up at 68c under full stress test for 3 hours. Everything seems stable. Although I don't like using software to over clock the CPU, using the CAM software and Kraken AIO cool seems to be the best way to go with overclocking the omen.
HP Recommended

@DX101 wrote:
PSA you can't fit 240 rads in the omen X through normal mounts.
Very poorly designed case. I managed to mcguyver it into the front intake and even though there is only a single fan spot on the case at the front it mounts securely and even a 240 rad with sub optimal airflow performs better than the aio included.

Currently rocking 4.6gz stable on 1.3v with max temps up at 68c under full stress test for 3 hours. Everything seems stable. Although I don't like using software to over clock the CPU, using the CAM software and Kraken AIO cool seems to be the best way to go with overclocking the omen.

Can you share some settings maybe even screen shots for others using XTU with the overclock you have? 

HP Recommended
will do. Just running my last 2 hour stress test.
Going to see if I can get it any higher but with the way my rad is mounted I am a little hesitant to push it to hard with sub optimal airflow over half the rad.
HP Recommended
Sorry I haven't posted screen shots yet. I have been away with business. But bought I would share you can quite easily bump your CPU multiplier up to 45 on the stock voltages for the omen x running 6700k. The voltage I found set on factory were between 1.32-1.4 volts and as such are more than fine for a modest overclock and explain the high thermals on the stock water cooler as the stock voltage requirement for the 6700k is 1.2v.

Of course I will make a disclaimer that even though the components are the same, every individual component has its own tolerances and limits so your results may vary.

Also if you are trying to overclock on the stock water cooler that comes with the omen x I would switch the fan to pull cold air rather than exhaust hot air as it will improve the thermal effiency of the radiator. Of course this is all subject to the omen model you have bought also. Some omen models come with liquid cool AMD cards and as such having the LCS exhaust air is a lot less detrimental to the cooling capacity.

All of my tests have been on the Omen x 900-071a with the AIO LCS removed and replaced with a NZXT Kraken X52 240mm AIO mounted on the front intake and replaced the top exhaust which used to be the stock AIO with a Vardar 1850rpm fan. I have definitely voided my warranty and as stated before in this discussion I think regardless of HP's stance on overclocking you will be voiding your warranty regardless as I don't believe the parts in the build were up to overclocking.

I really think the omen team need to address the issue of having marketing stating that you can overclock their machines when absolutely everything about the machines work against you including thre fact that HP have stated they do not support overclocking when they give you a guide on how to overclock their units on YouTube. This I think is a serious case of false marketing and they need to put disclaimers on their videos stating their warranty policy on overclocking.

I know I will never be buying another HP machine again. I feel deceived and misinformed of my purchasing decision based on advertising material put out by HP.
HP Recommended

@DX101

Reversing the exhaust fan my not be the best cooling strategy.  Why, because now you are inputting warm air in the PC across the motherboard, memory dimms and other internal components that are expecting cool air. You will also change the internal air pressure dynamics that were taken into account by the design engineers. You might also find that the water radiator is designed for a specific air flow direction in order to work most efficiently.

A better strategy IMHO is to bring cool air in from the front and exhaust the hot air out the back and top.  This has worked well for me on my last three custom builds and it's the strategy that I will be using on my up coming custom build. This strategy is an industry standard with all high end rigs.

High end components such as 3600+ ghz dimms and m.2 NVME SSD rely heavily on internal cool air and if it's not available they will start to throttle back.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Was bored messing around with my Omen X and I committed a heavy act of heresy..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.