Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (342 Views)
Accepted Solution

Omen X (900-140) Cooling Options

Product Name: Omen X Desktop 900-140
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am considering purchasing the Omen X desktop with an Intel 7700k processor.  I am given four heatsink options, two air cooled and two water cooled.  The two air cooled options are marked out due to the processor which I understand.  This leaves me with the "Jet Black; Liquid Cooling Solution" or the "ID JTB STL+PLA Water w/Clear Cover" option for $100 more.   Does anyone have any idea what in the world an ID JTB STL PLA is?  I attempted to contact HP Customer Support - Sales, but the rep was unable to assist me at all.  Instead they kept telling me generic statements such as, "Computers need cooling because they get hot."  I realize the rep did not know it, but I have worked in IT for half of my life and have built numerous systems.  I simply want to know what the ID JTB STL PLA is because if it means it is an upgraded cooler that has a larger radiator/fan or even just looks cooler, I may be interested in opting for it. 

For reference, here is the link to the system I am trying to purchase:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryI...

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Omen X (900-140) Cooling Options

Hi,

The water cooling is required with the 7700K which would be my recommendation even if it wasn't recommended.  Do you want a clear side or black side?  Perhaps with a clear side you can watch the air bubbles in the water tubes.Smiley Wink

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (313 Views)

Hi,

The water cooling is required with the 7700K which would be my recommendation even if it wasn't recommended.  Do you want a clear side or black side?  Perhaps with a clear side you can watch the air bubbles in the water tubes.Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (310 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.  I definitely want to go with water cooling on the 7700K even if the Z170 board HP is using isn't the best for overclocking.  Matter of fact I want the largest/best water cooler that HP offers, within reason, which is why I am interested in this upgraded option.  The "clear cover" part you mention did throw me off.  I have not seen any videos, reviews, or pictures which feature a windowed side for the X case and even if this were an option for a windowed case I am not sure why they would put that option under heatsinks.  I would think maybe it is clear tubing for the lines between the block and radiator but the "clear cover" option is listed for the air cooler as well.  I know I could potentially save some money and build a more future-proof system (Z270 and faster RAM) myself but for some reason I am attracted to the Omen X.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think you're right.  I think this is merely the windowed side panel. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation