Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen X 900-071a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have bought an Omen X 900-071a and I have noticed that the CPU gets very hot under load and during gaming.

HW Temp is showing me that cores are getting upwards of 84c and the package getting as hot as 86c.

I can also notice that there seems to be a fair bit of heat coming off the radiator from the fan but not a alot of air being pushed out from the radiator. Is there any way to control the fan curves or PWM settings via bios or software.

So far I haven't seen anything that will allow me to control it. I wouldnt mind higher noise levels for the sake of a cooler CPU.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello

Any option to control fans would be in BIOS or possible Windows software installed by HP.

86 degree C (over 180 degree F) is very hot and well above normal specs. You could almost boil water soon!! You could damage CPU and motherboard with sustained temps in this area.

Is this temp under load? What is normal idle temp? How about temp on graphics card?

You should contact HP about this soon.

Grzy

HP Recommended
Those temps are under load. Every review I have read said the CPU ran hot on this model. Graphics cards hover between 76-82 which is within normal specs.

I have tried looking in bios and so far there is no options for fan control and I can't find any software to change fan speed.
HP Recommended

Hello

Your Omen must be really new. Could not find HP support site for it.

I did look at other Omen 900 models and did not see any option to control CPU or system fans.

Do you have Intel 6700 or 6700K processor?

80C on a 6700 is considered hot.

I have custom PC that runs at idle around 31C to 34C. Under load like running 3DMark or prime 95 stress it runs around 41C to 50C. GTX 970 runs up to 74C on 3DMark or FurMark.

Forgot to mention I am using stock I 6700 Intel heatsink and fan.

Grzy

HP Recommended
Yeah it is a 6700k. Runs 35-40c idle. Everything is stock.
Looks like I may have to try a different rad fan to see if it may be a fault in the fan itself.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your Omen has a 1300 watt PSU along with the option for Dual NVIDIA GTX 1080s in SLI mode.  Your rig is going to generate lots of heat.

Look in the BIOS under thermal and see if all the fans are spinning. Generally the better motherboards have BIOS fuctions to change fan operations and set fan curves.  Perhaps HP has a software utility to do handle fan curves.

Did you purchase the optional water cooling hardware?

BTW---- I like your rig.:smileytongue:

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Yeah this unit has the water cooling feature. I have checked he bios and I can't find any option for fan settings so I may have to hunt for software. the only thing I can see in bios is that both fans are spinning at ~600rpm which seems fine for start up but I can't see what they are at under load.

I may try to use another temp monitor as HW Monitor may be giving false temps.

I am also going to try a selection of other high static pressure fans to see if that helps.
HP Recommended

Hello

I would not want my system running at the temps you are seeing under load. You have liquid cooling. Your PC should run cool.

Not good for motherboard or CPU.

Grzy

HP Recommended

@DX101

Open up Omen and then observe the fans.  Also, see if your fingers can feel the heat when placed close to the processor.

One of these temperature sensor guns may be helpful.  I may have to add this temperature gun to my tool box.

Your Omen is still under warranty so you might want to contact HP Support.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended
Going to see how hot he area surrounding the CPU is when I get back home tonight and also test out temps using a different program as maybe there is some error in HWMonitor that is giving false temps.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.