Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Omen Gaming computer. The computer was working fine, played games, and did all the things you would want your gaming laptop computer to do. Then, three days ago, it overheated and shut down. I waited about 10 minutes to let it cool down. When I pressed the power button to turn it on, nothing happened. No lights, no fan, so signal. Nothing. Thinking the power cord became unplugged, I found that in fact the power was fine. There was even a little orange light (usually indicating that the battery is charging). I left it alone for a day and tried again the next day. The light in the back of the computer was now white (indicating the battery is now fully charged). Same problem. Pressing the power button for 10 seconds to 1 minute did not work. It has been 3 days now, and the computer is still unable to power on, although the battery seems to be receiving power and holding it's charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Information:

- Problem: HP Omen Gaming Notebook will not start

- The notebook is a touchscreen

- Model Number: 15-5010nrIC:1000M-7260NG

- Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@afyoung3083

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to help. I read that you have an HP OMEN Notebook - 15-5010nr and it overheated and shut down. Since then the laptop does not power on though ti receives power supply. The battery light is on. You have tried to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to 1 minute but that did not help. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Do you hear the fan spinning inside the laptop when you try to power it on?
  • Does it power on using only the battery? (Keep the charger disconnected).

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Let the laptop be off and remove the battery out. Please refer to page no. 25 of the user guide to know how to remove the battery out.
  • Once the battery is out, please press and hold the power button of the laptop for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect the battery and the charger. Try to power on the laptop. 

If the laptop continues to not power on then please try to restore the BIOS

Once the laptop is up and running, I suggest you to perform the steps from this link to reduce the heat  inside the laptop: Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating.

I wish you good luck and please keep me posted on how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@afyoung3083

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to help. I read that you have an HP OMEN Notebook - 15-5010nr and it overheated and shut down. Since then the laptop does not power on though ti receives power supply. The battery light is on. You have tried to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to 1 minute but that did not help. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Do you hear the fan spinning inside the laptop when you try to power it on?
  • Does it power on using only the battery? (Keep the charger disconnected).

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Let the laptop be off and remove the battery out. Please refer to page no. 25 of the user guide to know how to remove the battery out.
  • Once the battery is out, please press and hold the power button of the laptop for 10 seconds and then release it.
  • Reconnect the battery and the charger. Try to power on the laptop. 

If the laptop continues to not power on then please try to restore the BIOS

Once the laptop is up and running, I suggest you to perform the steps from this link to reduce the heat  inside the laptop: Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating.

I wish you good luck and please keep me posted on how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Kazi,

To answer your questions, when the power was off, I was not able to hear any fans. Also, the HP Omen Notebook would not power on using only the battery power (i.e., with the power cord disconnected). I followed your instructions. First, I disconnected the battery using the user's manual guide you provided. That was very helpful. Then I pressed the power button for 10 seconds and then released. When I reconnected the battery, the HP Omen Notebook lights and fan came immediately on. Even the last YouTube video I had been watching came on. No data was lost and the Windows 10 operating system worked perfectly. Thank you Kazi for your very insightful help! This probably saved me a lot of money in purchasing a new computer!

Sincerely,

Andy

HP Recommended

@afyoung30831

You're most welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the steps provided by me were helpful in fixing the issue. I must say that technical solutions can only be provided. But it was you who implemented them to perfection. Happy computing and take care! 🙂

HP Recommended
I'm having the same issue but I have the hp omen 17-w151nr. I do you recommend removing the back cover to disconnect the battery?

Thanks
HP Recommended
HP not house. Autocorrect was wrong
HP Recommended

My HP Omen laptop suddenly shut down while I was using it. It was plugged in and running normaly. The battery went low so I checked the cord was still plugged in and continued what i was doing. Soon it shutoff because of low batt even while it was still plugged in. I checked the power supply with a volt meter and its fine. I pulled the battery out and unplugged it from the wall and let it ait overnight to allow the capacitors to fully discharge.  The next day i replaced the battery and tried to durn it on. Nothing happened, no fan, no beeps, no lights. I plugged it in and did the same.  Nothing again. I tried hitting windows button and b anf power in proper sequence with no results. Same with the v button.  I do note that the battery light only flashes orange once when i initally plug it in and then never again does it flash or stay on.  If i hit the power button the battery light will flash once white each time i hit it but nothing elsa happens. With the battery out but still plugged in the light does not flash.  Whats happened??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.