Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-w260nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have read in several places that HP have purposefully designed these gaming laptops so that the SSD and HDD are designed to be non user-upgradeable. Not only is this a bad design for a powerful gaming notebook and a complete slap in the face to and blatant disregard of the users who buy one, but I am inclined to believe this is not strictly legal within Europe from a consumer protection perspective to forbid people from upgrading such basic user-replaceable components, and declaring their warranty void in the process if they do so.

From a consumer protection standpoint I also believe any "breaking of seals" would not stand up in court, as long as nothing was damaged in the process of changing the RAM and HDD. It is everyone's right as a purchaser and allowable under standard consumer law to upgrade such essential and basic things without having to send a laptop away. Of course as I said, this is providing the user does not cause damage to the laptop by upgrading the HDD, that is self-explanatory.

So, is it true that HP really will void warranties for upgrading RAM and/or SDD/HD drives even if the user causes no damage to them? Or if my laptop develops a screen fault that is clearly unrelated to the RAM or HDD, will I still be penalised for changing the hard drives?

What are people's thoughts on this? I had no option to buy a HP Omen with an SSD larger than 256GB, and that is simply not an acceptable capacity for a modern gaming laptop and desktop replacement so I have no choice but to perform user upgrade. :indifferent:

Thanks for any input anyone can provide. 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Richdog, thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow,

What I am looking for is to know whether upgrading my own hard drive to increase capacity, as I have done on any other high-end gaming laptop I have ever purchased, will void my warranty or not (assuming I cause no damage doing so). I NEED 1TB of SSD space, and this was not available as a purchase option, 250GB was my only option and this is simply not enough for a desktop replacement gaming laptop.

RAM and hard drives are two fundamental components that should ALWAYS be user-upgradeable as such storage needs can change during the purchase lifetime of the laptop.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Oh wow, HP support is hilarious. Apparently on my model, a DESKTOP REPLACEMENT, there is no option for higher than a 256GB SSD. When I said this was far too small for a modern gaming laptop he said: "But you have a 1TB storage drive in there too, and the performance is very similar to the SSD for gaming". Wow... how much more dishonest can a support person be?

Naturally I said I did not agree with this, and then I asked what would happen if I took it to an authorized HP service center. "Sorry sir, we do not offer this service. You can take it to a local PC repair shop, but this will invalidate your warranty".  What an absolute joke.

Final question, if I take off the HP case of this laptop does it cause any seals or stickersto be broken?

HP Recommended

@Richdog, thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

So, 10 days since I replied once more the same canned support request message, and no response...

Why oh why did I buy HP. 😞

HP Recommended

Hilarious... I received a direct email to tell me that HP don't provide email support!

------------------------------------------

We are sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your HP product. Unfortunately, we do not provide email support, however you can call our Swiss technical helpdesk Mon - Fri 08.30-18.00 on 022 567 5183 or the UK technical helpdesk Mon - Fri 08.30-18.00 on +44207 6600596. They will be happy to assist you where possible with your issue. Alternatively, you can contact our chat support through http://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp/.

best regards

[Personal Information Removed]

So then I called the HP line on 022 567 5183 and guess what... it doesn't work. It takes you to a point where you have to make a selection on which device you want support for, and then does not accept a button press. I tried this on two desk phones and one mobile phone, so it is not a phone issue.

HP,  this is a truly shameful level of support and I wish I had never bought your product.
HP Recommended

Well, after 3 weeks I finally got a call from someone very nice who told me (and alsoconfirmed to me in writing) that... *DRUMROLL*...

I CAN CHANGE MY SSD WITHOUT LOSING MY WARRANTY IF I DON'T DAMAGE ANY COMPONENTS WHILE DOING ITHere is the message:

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

please let me summarize our talk about upgrade the unit, parts and warranty.
You dont lost the warranty on the unit if you want to upgrade your unit and if there are no damages at parts or the unit during the upgrade or as result of the upgrade.
If there happens any damages at the parts or the unit during the upgrade or as result of the upgrade - the warranty will be lost.

Please store the replaced parts, so you can reset the unit to factory settings if you have to send the unit in repair.

In the following document you can see how to replace the parts.

With regards

Support HP

Woohoo! :generic:

Amazing how so many HP reps give you the canned responses that changing your SSD invalidates your warranty, when in fact it is ONLY when you damage something that this is the case. of course, if your laptop does develop a fault, they could try and screw you saying it's a result of your SSD swap, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The important thing is that I can change my SSD... which I already did and it works fine. 😉

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.