Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

Recently bought a HP omen, in the first few weeks of use worked fine however recently the backlit keyboard has stopped ligting up, the only lights that now work are the on/off button and the animated speakers, all of the keys, including the macro keys now have no backlight. Firstly I looked to see if it was a problem with the HP Omen control centre but all that happens is when changing the colour it will light up for a matter of half a second then blip off again, I have the LED on full brightness and have tried all the colours, the fact that it turns on for half a second then off again makes me doubt it is a problem with the lighting system and more to do with windows. I have tried uninstalling the Omen control centre and reinstalling it but that had no effect at all. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a way to fix it as it is a major part of the laptop that isnt working and a major downside for me as I game in a room with very low light so having a backlit keyboard for me is essential. Any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear harrycypress101 -

I understand that your new OMEN's backlit keyboard is not working.  I did a little research, and apparently, after a BIOS update, the keyboard backlighting turns off.  I don't know if you did a BIOS update, but pressing F5 will turn it back on.

If F5 does not resolve the issue, then make sure your OMEN is up to date using the HP Support document Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 😎.

If neither of these suggestions resolve the issue, you might contact HP for service. Since your OMEN is new it should still be under warranty. Check your warranty status by browsing to Check your warranty status .

Good luck

dhtp

DH
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click "KUDOS Thumbs Up" if I have helped you, and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. Thanks for the feedback!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Dear harrycypress101 -

I understand that your new OMEN's backlit keyboard is not working.  I did a little research, and apparently, after a BIOS update, the keyboard backlighting turns off.  I don't know if you did a BIOS update, but pressing F5 will turn it back on.

If F5 does not resolve the issue, then make sure your OMEN is up to date using the HP Support document Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 😎.

If neither of these suggestions resolve the issue, you might contact HP for service. Since your OMEN is new it should still be under warranty. Check your warranty status by browsing to Check your warranty status .

Good luck

dhtp

DH
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click "KUDOS Thumbs Up" if I have helped you, and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. Thanks for the feedback!
HP Recommended

Thankyou, 

In the end I did not do the f5 method but updated the BIOS backwards to the origional state, it works again now! 

Anyone planning on buying this laptop-do it, such a beast

HP Recommended

how did you do this? im running into the same problem. Omen control does not work at all now

HP Recommended

Dear VictorLustig -

I understand that your Omen is having issues with the keyboard light. 

Try holding down the "fn" key, and press "f5".  This should toggle the light on and off.

Since the Omen is also having trouble with the control, you might want to also use this HP support document to make sure that your computer is up to date Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 😎

If going through the steps in that document does not resolve the issue for you, please describe the issue you are having in more detail, and I will try and help you.  First, though, please go through the steps in the referenced support document.

Cheers,

dhtp

DH
I work on behalf of HP.

HP Recommended

The lights turn on and off. Its omen control (the program) that doesnt work. No matter what settings i try to adjust ( macro settings, light color changing, fans at maximum, etc.) All my drivers are up to date, both bios and programs.

HP Recommended
I had the same problems with the keyboard backlit but it has been resolved.guys try this steps-first shutdown ur laptop then disconnect ALL external devices then press & hold the on/off button for 10secs then release from pressing it then quicly press it again to turn it on,then it should resolve the lighting problem..now the issue i'm having now is the HP omen control that doesn't work at all!pls help!thanks!
HP Recommended

I also have keyboard lighting issues.   I purchased an Omen 15-3115dx, and after updating from win 8.1 to win10 no longer can control individual keyboard lighting areas.   I am now additionally no longer able to turn lighting on/off using the fn-F5 key combination........it does nothing.   What I can do is vary backlight intensity and color, but ONLY for the entire keyboard.

I tried the HP updates after the OS change,  and also installed sp71716.exe along with sp70894.exe.  Does nothing for this issue.  

I like this laptop, though I did not purchase to game with.  Hopefully, I won;t have to return it in the six days I have left.

Thank you for any assistance.

antons987

HP Recommended

I am still on Windows 8.1 and I have followed all the steps in updating drivers, bios, utility events, resetting power savings and selecting the alternate options in the Omen Control Center.  The lighting still does not turn on with the fn/F5 button or F5 by itself.  The only lights visible are for the speakers and power button.  I can change the colors for these two sections but no other sections will light up regardless of color selected (i.e. Center/left/right or gaming keys).

It's been frustrating because my warranty just expired a month ago and I believe this problem occured after some automatic updates because it was working fine one day and then it stopped working correctly.  Please help because it's hard to play in the dark without a backlit keyboard!  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks, you solved my problem! Thought my Omen lighting was done for!
I run a dual boot, windows 10 and ubuntu 14.04. At some point, my wasd keys lighting was weaker than the others, but only if i choose the red color! Pretty strange. Anyway, tried many things put your solution worked, though i don't know why. Do you know what holding the power button for 10 sec does or did you just get that info elsewhere?
Anyway, I appreciate it very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.