Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-w151nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the Omen 17 2016 latest version have a PCIE NVME 3.0 x4 slot? From everything I have read it does....see image below

Even the drives in the service manual say: 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe SS meaning single sided (Samsung PM951)   Which is what came with my Omen 17-w151nr

So WHY  are we only getting PCIE 2.0 READ SPEEDS? Appx 1700MBS MAX READ

Just upgraded my SSD to a Samsung SM961 read speeds up to 3200MBS and write speeds up to 1800MBS

Yet, the Omen 17-w151nr is capping the read speeds at 1700MBS write speed is about 1650MBS which is pretty average for this drive.

Please someone who really knows why our READ speeds are being capped at 1700MBS answer this.

Contacted Tech support and they are "looking into this" but with the new Samsung 960 Pro and Evo available now there are going to be some upset people when these laptops for whatever reason cannot deliver the drives rated speeds.

According to AIDA64 IT IS A PCIE 3.0 X4

OMEN.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update: HP Omen laptop..... HP releases bios update F.26 to correct slow read speeds. Much better.

Thanks HP.

1.png

And here is my 850 Pro in Rapid mode

2.png

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@gdg444

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

Thanks that would be great! see images

The PCI to PCI is linked at 2.5 Gt/s. Max is 8.0 Gt/s

Computer is working on PCIe 3.0 and the drive is acting as a x4 drive but is not reaching it's full speed, because PCI linked speed is only 2.5 Gt/s.

How to change it? Firmware upgrade? Running the latest F.19 Rev.A

2.png1.png

HP Recommended

Still waiting for a REAL REASON.........

HP Recommended

Finally an answer....but as of this date not a fix

From HP AMS TCO Escalations Team

As per our conversation earlier, here is what we spoke on for your own records.

We are aware of the issues you're experiencing with the Samsung 961 Pro M.2 and the HP OMEN.

As of right now thee is no current fix for the unit limiting the read speeds of the new drive due to the BIOS not supporting it. (Other words they need to unlock it in the bios)

It has only been tested and updated for desktop units.

I have spoken with our Level 2 technicians and they've advised to be on the lookout for a BIOS update within the next Month and a half to 2 Months to rectify these issues.

We'll see how long this bios update takes.

HP Recommended

Guess this is kind of like HP having the M.2 slot locked if you did not purchase a M.2 drive from them when first ordering your computer, later unlocked with a bios update after a lot of complaining from customers.

Just does not make sense. 

UPDATE:

Purely coincidence, but there was a bios update today From F.19 to F.25…did not fix issue, (one can hope) but just for the record I do not consider this case closed until this issue is corrected.

HP Recommended

I thought I was alone in this as I was unsure what I could upgrade too considering the vauge nature of the Maintenance and Service Guide. On a whim I purchased a Toshiba OZC RD400 NVMe M.2 with suggested read speads upwards of 3.0gbps. The SSD Utility programs caps my reads at 1.5gpbs as well.. This laptop is now holding numerous issues for me, if interested in the other problems this model has check out my other posts.

Also, for this model, there are 4 BIOS since May 2016. The original is the only to allow me to game, and none of them fix the read speads.

HP Recommended

Mine is the HP OMEN 17-w151nr released in Sept 2016, and so far it has been pretty solid with the Nvidia 1070 graphics.

There have only been two bios updates F.19 that came with the laptop and F.25 recently.

The next bios update SHOULD FIX THIS SLOW READ SPEEDS ISSUE, at least that's what I was told.

HP Recommended

Also, after reading your other post regarding the power supply, checked mine, it came with a 230 Watt supply. It's huge!

HP Recommended

I sure hope they fix this issue for your model as well as mine. It does seem a bit shady that the would offer a 512GB NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 to users that only works at 2.0 speeds. If that is the case it really does imply that they have decided to lock out users that are capable of performing their own upgrades.

This model, 17-w033dx, came with a 1TB SSHD @ 5400 RPM with 8GB Flash NAND. So when I did install the NVMe the improved speed is like whoa! I can only imagine if they fix the issue the increase read speeds.  Twice as fast as it is. I currently now boot in about 12 seconds from completely off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.