Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have several printers connected to HP ePrint and they work fine through mobile devices.  We tried installing the software on a Windows 10 laptop but it doesn't register.  Here's what happens:

• We downloaded the software here, version 5.1 released 18 May 2016.  It says Windows 10 is supported.
  • We install it on the laptop.
  • We print something to the "HP ePrint + JetAdvantage" virtual printer.
  • The software pops up, saying "To enable HP ePrint on your computer you need to register this HP ePrint driver with the HP ePrint service."
  • We click "HP ePrint Registration" and enter our account's e-mail address.
  • It says "Unable to communicate with the HP ePrint service.  Ensure you have a valid internet connection and then try again."

Since this isn't working we can't print over the internet.  The software can detect printers on the local network but we need to register to add ones on the internet.  We can probably still print by e-mailing the @hpeprint.com address, but we'd like to make it easier for the person who will be using the laptop.

Here's what we tried already to head off some suggestions:

• The laptop's internet connection is working.
  • We tried turning off Windows Firewall completely.  There's no other security software other than Windows Defender.
  • The same thing happens on another Windows 10 laptop from a completely different company.
  • Everything works when we try it on a Windows 7 desktop.
  • It shouldn't be a problem with the e-mail address because it works when we use it on a Windows 7 desktop.
  • It's not a problem with the password or PIN because we don't even get to a point where we can enter one.
  • It shouldn't be a problem with vendor-specific software because one of the laptops is a Samsung and the other is a Lenovo.  Both have the same problem.

It seems like a problem with the ePrint software and Windows 10, though I'd be happy to try any other suggestions.

Edit: Just so people don't have to read through the entire thread to find this, it's been determined that Windows 10 update KB3163018 causes the problems.  If you uninstall that update ePrint will register again.  However, it's a Windows 10 cumulative update so it will just reinstall the next time Windows does an update check, and you can't put that off forever.  HP needs to update their software to be compatible with it.

Edit 2: It appears to be resolved, no software update needed.  HP must have done something on their servers instead.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Mine worked this morning!  Must be something they fixed on their end because I'm using the same version of HP ePrint.   So relieved, since I'm going on vacation this morning and needed this to work to send documents to our business.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem, worked fine this morning then PC done update and now won't print! 

HP Recommended

Hi @Greg010,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your HP ePrint issue.

I understand that you are having issues with registering Windows 10 laptop with the HP ePrint service. I would like to help.

Is it a work network that you are trying to register the service through?

What printer model are you using?

I will watch for your reply so I can look into this further for you. Please reply at your convenience.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

This morning I tried it on my home PC, a desktop I built myself with a clean install of Windows 10, and had the same problem.  So that's three networks: the internal ethernet network at work, the wi-fi at work which is completely separate from the internal network, and my home internet connection.

This is for a HP LaserJet Pro M201dw.

HP Recommended

Hi @mandyT,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your HP ePrint issue.

I understand that your PC did an update and since then you have been unable to use HP ePrint from your PC. I would like to help with that.

It might help to know a couple pieces of information.

What printer model do you have, and what operating system is your PC running?

I will watch for your reply so I can look into this further for you. Please reply at your convenience.

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I, too, am having the same issues.  This started on the 20th.  We have fifteen of the Officejet 8600 series in a major restaurant chain franchise and the Windows 10 mahcines quit printing.  We've removed AV, turned off firewall, and reinstalled the e-print driver software, all with no luck.  

Need some help here.

HP Recommended
Hi there, I'm using 3 printers in the HP Envy range and my PC is running Windows 10.

I have uninstalled the HP eprint jet advantage software and reinstalled but it still won't work. I get to the point where I need to re-register and I get error message.
HP Recommended

Having the same problem myself. Was working fine up until a couple of days ago, so I suspect a possible incompatibility with an automatic Windows 10 update... As with Greg010, I'm running the latest version of the Eprint Software. I'm printing to an HP Officejet Pro X576DW, and running Win10 build 10586.420 x64. I've tried on three different networks, three different ISP's - no effect. Only the Win10 machine is affected - Android app & emailed PDF's still print fine. Done the usual troubleshooting - disable AV, firewall, reinstall software, etc... Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue!

HP Recommended

same issue on all our windows 10 boxes - the windows 7 boxes are fine -

Unable to communicate with the HP ePrint service.  Ensure you have a valid internet connection then try again.

i've turned off all firewall - rules disabled everything 

flushed dns

etc- 

printer is physically fine - it must be an interop with win 10 printer is mfp 225dw - again its not connectivity we're having issues with its connectivity to HP - to register software - 

HP Recommended

same thing-  worked fine - until 6/21/2016 -- what happened ???? HP please fix compatibility 

we're running different versions of windows 10 - home /professional etc- all no longer work

after security update 6/22 ms update 31363018

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.