Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Ink Advantage 2545
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home, 8 gb memory, 1T hard drive.

Router is a Samsung phone using Android because it was the only router I could find that would pick up the wireless signal.

I live in VERY rural area, no neighbors for miles, so I never saw the need for a password on my router.

Now some people moved in within 400 feet of me and I think they are piggybacking on my Wifi because my access speed has slowed considerably since they moved in. 

So I decided to change the password on the router, unfortunately, I can't put in any password I want.  It only gives me the option of having a pre-defined password.  So I changed the name of the router which I could do with no problem.

My computer connected very quickly with no problems, however, my printer which has worked very well for a year with the old router name will not connect to the new router name. 

Here's what I've tried:

I had hoped it would ask me for a new name and/or password, but it did not.

Then I hooked up a cable between the printer and the laptop hoping that it would produce some other kind of results.  It did not change anything.  There is no menu screen on anything like that on the printer. 

I pressed the Wireless button that has the flashing blue light and nothing happened.

I pressed the other button, not sure what it is, but it has a white light, and nothing happened.

I went to the HP site and followed the instructions there but it just said to not connect the cable until told to do so.  So I disconnected everything, turned off everything, and turned it back on, and still no connection and no prompt to plug anything in. 

Is there anywhere that I being a novice might get step-by-step instructions on how to get this to work?

I appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you are talking about SSID. Please treat it as a new router and use the following ways to fix:

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/wireless/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you are talking about SSID. Please treat it as a new router and use the following ways to fix:

http://www.hp.com/global/au/en/wireless/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi There,

Please help the link was gone, appriciate if someone kindly provide a new one.

I have a similar issue. But with a Modem Router (HUMAX  HG100RE).

Windows 7 X64 system. This printer works well via USB connection.

WiFi Direct  function for smart phone can be read "HP-Print-14-Deskjet 2540 series"

Many wireless connections set up including  WPS method have been tried, all failed.

Re-installed HP 2540(5) drivers did not help.

Any idea to try?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

To solve my problem, I had to delete the printer and install it again.  I deleted it in the control panel, turned it off, unplugged it and acted like it was a brand new printer.  I remember downloading some software from HP to re-install it, however, when I plugged it back in and turned it on, Windows found the software it needed without me doing anything and did whatever it does, magically?, and now the printer is working fine.  I've had no problems with it since. 

Good luck with your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this suggestion.

I've been trying on re-installation  a couple of times. But it's still not enabled the WiFi function.

Today I did  tweak the new router setting, by changing  network security key to the simple encryption type (WPAPSK).

Now the HP2545 is accepted the SSID and simple password and it connected!

There is some problem (I thought) with this new router (HUMAX RE100) too.

So, if anyone has the same problems like mine, please try tweaking your router setting (WiFi set up)  as well.

Cheers,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.