Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3630
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

It would really be amazing that if HP offers a year or so old printer, that its compatable with 5GHZ WIFI!! Got the error message during setup. 

It's 2015, we're moving into wireless AC, and you can't even release a printer that can be set up on 5ghz? I cannot use the 2.4GHZ network as there is already a printer on that one, that is not mine. 

Quite disappointing that it's not on the box or in either of the 2 startup manuals. Back to square one looking for an affordable printer since the cartridges for my HP 4500 series cost more than a few of your brand new printers

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum.

Most (if not all) the printers available in the market today do not support 5GHZ.

Having said that, you should be able to connect your printer on the 2.4Ghz network even though there is a printer connected to it.

Can you download the full feature printer software for your printer and once you have  installed it, you should be able to use it on your network.

If your printer is right out of box, you can use the Auto Wireless Connect to setup wirelessly (or you can reset the Network defaults on your printer to setup using AWC)

Here's a relevant video to show you how easy it is to use AWC for wireless setup.

Setting up the printer wirelessly using HP Auto Wireless Connect

https://goo.gl/oBY6AJ

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Your suggested solution would work, only if I would switch whatever device I am trying to print from to that specific SSID, no? 

I have two different SSIDs on the two bands. If I want to print to this printer on the 2.4, I would have to associate to the network on the 2.4 every time, and that's not acceptable really.  This will permit the users on the 2.4 SSID to access the printer, which is the reason for needing to separate our networks. 

5ghz may have range issues over 2.4, but how many people are trying to print more than 50ft from their printer!? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Spoiler
Your suggested solution would work, only if I would switch whatever device I am trying to print from to that specific SSID, no? 

We're using 5Ghz for our PCs and our printers are on 2.4Ghz (2 different SSIDs), hasn't encountered any issues so far 🙂

So, yes, your PC can be on 5Ghz and printer on 2.4Ghz and it will still work. (assuming the 2 networks are on one router)

Thanks.

Please click the “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem and “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hi,

You should keep a different SSID for 2.4 and for 5GHz, however be sure to set your router to allow Dual Band to allow the computer and the printer to interact with each other.

You may contact your Internet Service Provider to check how a such should be set by your router.

As a reference see the 'What are Dual band wireless routers?' below:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-network-help4.html

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Note that during setup you have to have both PC and printer on the same ssid.

The reason is that the software will read your computer ssid and password and feed it to the printer over USB.

It took me three hours yesterday to figure out how to install the printer to the network, and I still didn't get it to work although the wireless light is constantly lit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.