Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 3830

My password to my HP Officejet 3830 for wireless networking/connecting to devices doesn't work.  It says it's the wrong password, but I had it written down so I know it is correct.  How do I go about resetting it or finding what's in the system as a password?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Usually when your printer is asking you to supply a password, you have an option turn on in the printer called "Wireless Direct".  (Why HP has this turned on by default is curious!)  Wifi Direct turns the printer into a "wifi Hotspot" that generates its own wifi signal.  This allows usage without a network.

From page 87 of your User Guide:

1. From the printer control panel, touch (Wi-Fi Direct).

2. Touch Settings, and then Wi-Fi Direct to turn it on.

3. Press the Back button, and then find the Wi-Fi Direct name and password from the Wi-Fi Direct Details menu.

NOTE:  Wifi-Direct is to be used only when a wireless network is not available nearby.  I would recommend turning this option off if not needed.  This way, any wireless device can access the printer through a normal wireless network connection.

HTH,

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Hello! I have a question regarding the wifi- direct password:

What do I do if I changed my wifi direct password, but forgot it??? My direct wireless information on my printer is locked and protected so I cannot see the password when I print out the wireless report.

Would I need to contact someone, such as the manufacturer to reset my printer's wifi direct password? And if so, what number do I call?

I am a college student and frequently use my printer so I hope to fix this issue as soon as possible. I just recently bought this printer in August! Please help.

Thank you sooooo much.

HP Recommended

You could contact HP directly and ask them for the Reset procedure.

Can I assume you don't have the printer on a network right now?   If you did, you might be able to modify the password and security settings by accessing the "EWS" (Embedded Web Server).

To do so, you open a web browser and enter the IP address of the printer.  This gives you a lot of menu tabs, including Wireless Direct settings.

To contact HP directly, click this link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/support.html

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

I actually just got off the phone with HP technical support and fixed the issue! I had to restore my printer to default factory settings from the printer itself, delete the printer off of my laptop and set it up again. The password is back to the one the manufacturer had originally created for it and I could view it on my printer screen.

Thank you though!

HP Recommended

Hi Cindy  , is the manufacturer password a standard one that you could maybe give me the code ?  If not could you tell me the phone number to call HP Technical support please

Thank you , Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.