Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I'm trying to connect my printer to my laptop with wireless direct, but without having to switch networks every time I print. I want my laptop to be able to remain on my home network while the printer is not on that network. I have gotten wireless direct to work, it just won't stay online when I change networks. Is there a way to configure the connection though control panel or something to do this? How to I go about configuring this? If this is not possible in any way, please let me know why as well...thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally when installing software and drivers you can see 2 logical printers one is on your home network and one is for direct connect (given your printer supports direct connect). You can select one of those as default. Which everway, your computer and your printer must be on a same network otherwise you can't print unless using ePrint app.

Please use the following instructions for wireless setup:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally when installing software and drivers you can see 2 logical printers one is on your home network and one is for direct connect (given your printer supports direct connect). You can select one of those as default. Which everway, your computer and your printer must be on a same network otherwise you can't print unless using ePrint app.

Please use the following instructions for wireless setup:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Alright. At this point it seems it just gonna have to set it up with my home network. I can manage that, it just seemed simpler to use wifi direct in parallel, but I see why that's not possible. Thank you for answering my question.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.