Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Please show me how to set fast draft, black ink only.   Would also like not to have a black background printed.  uses a lot of ink to no point.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  Yes, going to advanced and clicking on grayscale to reveal the drop down menu worked to then change from "no" to "black ink only" .  Why I did not catch that is that I saw no drop down menu.  Had to click on grayscale to make it appear.  Maybe that just want us to use more ink so they can sell more.  You think??

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
Assuming your using Windows, right click on your printer icon and select printer preferences, then for the 8600 pro plus I select Paper/Quality, then Draft under Quality Settings. Then click Advanced and under Printer Features look for Print in Greyscale and select Black Ink Only.

Since you didn't specify the printer you have I don't know if these are exactly the same for you.
mikehd
HP Recommended

In advanced I do not have the option for Black only, unless it is hidden somewhere.   Did remove the color cartridge and that sorta solves it, but is a nuisance if I need color.   My machine is a deskjet 3050A.  The last couple machines did have a black ink only option.  Any other thoughts?

HP Recommended

While in printing preferences, click on "Advanced" then look for a line that says "print in grayscale" under the advanced page that is open.  There you will see set by default "NO".  Open a dropdown box where it says no, and change it to "black ink only", click apply or ok and you are set.  Remember what you did because you will need to change it back to NO if you want to print a color document.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  Yes, going to advanced and clicking on grayscale to reveal the drop down menu worked to then change from "no" to "black ink only" .  Why I did not catch that is that I saw no drop down menu.  Had to click on grayscale to make it appear.  Maybe that just want us to use more ink so they can sell more.  You think??

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a model Officejet Pro 8500A , and my ink is empty, but I would like to print in black only because black catridge is full and it won't let me. I try to change the settings that you already said but it's useless. What can I do? I don't need colour at this moment I just need to print the colourless file. How? I don't want to use uninstall option for my HP. Help.

HP Recommended

This particular printer will not work when any of the ink is out BUT some folks have found a work-around using tape.  See this post.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-8500-won-t-print-Black-ink-only-if-o...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, it helped

HP Recommended

When i go in to print settings and change it to fast draft and black ink only it automatically switchezs back and i have to do this every time....it is quite a pain....is there a way to do it permanently?  I am on windows 8 and have a HP 6500 E710n-z.

HP Recommended

I do not have Win 8 However I am sure you can "poke around" to find what I am saying.

You need to go to what was (and maybe still is) Devices and Printers, click on the printer you are using and select right click on printing preferences, advanced and make the change there.  This should be close to the same thing you have to do every time now.  When done click apply and ok to back out.  If you "lock it in" this way, it will be your default setting for that particular printer.

In the future it will print like you want and you will only have to change individual documents to something else when you want a different combo like color or best or normal.

I use draft - black only all the time and change it just for special things.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.