Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

In some network setup, proxy settings may need to be configured on the printer to enable connection to the Internet.

1. Make sure the printer is on a network and must have an IP address assigned by a Network Router or a DHCP server. Alternatively, you may also configure the printer to use a static IP address.  Check and retrieve the IP address of the printer from the Home Screen menu selection: Network -> View Network Summary -> View Wired (or View Wireless)  or Setup -> Network > View Network Summary (depending on printer model)

2. In a web browser on your computer, type the IP address or hostname that has been assigned to your printer.

3. Go to the Network Tab > Proxy Settings and enter the proxy settings into the fields and click Apply button.  You may have to check with your ISP or IT Administrator for the correct Proxy Setting.

1072i8307E7CA5E9426F1

I am an HP employee

**** Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution" ****
54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

Great information.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Time Warner is telling me that the proxy setting should be set to auto detect. How do I do that?

HP Recommended

I am also getting this "error".  The printer (8500 A910) connected to the web well enough that it went out and supposedly downloaded a new update, but then it was supposed to print a page showing the email address, but did not.

So I go in and try to set up the eprint, and it tells me it cannot connect to the sever and I'll need to enter a proxy address and port number.  But my ISP's cable modems do NOT have any static IP address nor do they provide any sort of proxy service.  Everything works just fine with "automatic discovery" (DHCP) for every computer in the house.  No problems there.

So, since  that's the case, of course I cannot look up some proxy address and port number in my web browser because they're all set up for "automatically detect settings".

What's baffling is that the printer connected to something at HP to download the "update", and it went through a process that appeared to be what I'd expect it to do if it was updating its firmware.  But it won't connect to whatever it's supposed to connect to to have an email address assigned.

Does HP supply a proxy server?  If so, what's its IP address or URL, and what port should a person set the printer to try to use?

UPDATE:

It appears that the HP site must have just been "down" for about six or seven hours while I was trying to get the printer to connect because it now connected and I got an email address asigned without needing to have any "proxy" stuff set up at all.  It's a shame that the printer does not simply report "HP Site down - try again later" instead of reporting that you need to use a proxy when that's impossible.

"Now, on to the next problem which is that my emails to the assigned address are all bouncing with a "550 5.7.1 Command rejected" error!

HP Recommended

I just installed my new OJ Pro 8500A and am getting the same proxy error message when

trying to get the printer email address.  Perhaps the HP server is down again?  I agree,

it seems to go online and get product updates fine and look up applications.  Seems

odd it drops the ball when it comes to getting an email address set up for e-print.  

I guess I will try it tomorrow and see if HP server is up.  Anyone from HP care to comment

on this?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem..... almost.... Web Services set up just fine.  It downloads updates just fine.  Apps seems to work.  I can get an email address, but it fails when it tries to print it... it ask for a proxy server, and I have none. 

The things that are different... When I use the HP Network Diagonistic Utility, it can't find the printer.... Which is odd, because it prints just fine.  Also, I cannot log onto the printers "EWS".

HP Recommended

same proxy issue here for new 8500 - I will try again tomorrow, and if ng, return it.

HP Recommended

I contacted HP several days ago about this exact same problem -- tried to enable Web services, downloaded some kind of update and then an error message asking for a proxy server.

I was told that the HP server that runs these services was down and I was given the following link to check the status:

http://h30495.www3.hp.com/status/servers

As of today (1/2) at 8:34am eastern, this link still shows the server is down.  Tech support told me that until this link shows no errors, I am wasting my time trying to set up Web services.

It has already been three days.  I understand that this is a holiday weekend, but this problem should still be addressed on a more timely basis.

Sorry I can't offer better information, but hopefully this will reduce some of the frustrations!

Happy New Year to all!

HP Recommended

I was having this same error (enter proxy info when my IPS doesn't use proxy). The apps were always enabled, but I couldn't get the email address I needed for printing from my phone (which is the entire reason I bought this printer).  I enabled and disabled the dang web services so many times I was gettng ticked.  Finally I decided to give up and go to bed.  I just thought i'd check out the apps to see what apps were available.  I had seen something about google apps and their calendar so I thought I would go in and try and find that.  Clicked on google and signed in there, but couldn't find the calendar app, so I went into forms and went to print that.

I give you all this detail, because I am not sure if it was just you need to force something to print from an app, or you just need to give it about 5 minutes, because no sooner did my blank calendar print, then a second sheet printer out, and wouldn't you know, I finally had my printer email code (and email address).

Like I said, I don't know if it was time or the fact that I forced a print job through the app menu.  Try it..... it might work for you.  7 hours after coming home with my printer it is finally setup and I can go to bed.  Jeezzz

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  It asks for a proxy when I don't think that U-verse uses one.  I tried to print from an app and that does not work as was suggested.  I can print preview okay but not actually print.  It gives me an eprint error.  I also would like to be able to make this work since it is a big reason that I bought it!  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.