Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet PRO MFP M277c6

I just purchased this very new version from the M277 family.  I got the printer up and running fairly quickly configured to run wirelessly.  During installation, the software told me that it could not connect to the Internet.  It connected to my router's wireless network and I could print, scan, and copy.  When I tried to enable the web features and connect to HP Connect, the printer could not access the Internet.  I called the HP 800 number for Eprinting assistance and found that there is no support for this product.  I called HP support and started [Personal information removed] and spent two hours on the phone.  The man was very pleasant and truly tried.  He even questioned that the model number I gave him was a real number until he took over my computer and saw the printer identification.  In the end, he stated that I must have the wrong division and gave me a second 1-800 number to call which I did.  I got another pleasant and helpful person who after 10 mnutes and pulling up my case told me that my only real option was to wait for HP to eventually come out with fixes for any issues.  Both call centers had absolutely no advice.  At one point, they tried installing firmware from the M277DW which didn't take.  I let them make changes on my router which I had to change back.  I logged on to HP and the auto-help assistance scanned my devices and told me that I had an out dated model and it was no longer supported.  I don't know what I am going to do, I may just abandon wireless and try to use an ethernet cable and see if it will connect to the Internet.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @cbecket,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with enabling web services on your Laserjet M277dw Printer. I can help you with that.

First though, if you do need to contact HP Support, you can contact the correct department by clicking on this link and filling out the form at the bottom.

That said, we'll do the following:

1. Make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector.
  2. On the printer click on the wireless icon to view the printer's IP Address.

If the printer's IP Address starts with 169 then the router is not providing the printer with an IP Address. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with your router for assistance with determining why the router is not assigning IP Addresses.

If the printer's IP Address stars with 172 then the printer is connecting to a guest network. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with your router for assistance with disabling the guest network.

If the printer's IP Address starts with 192.168 or 10 then the printer is connected properly to a network.

If the printer's IP Address starts with any other number, the printer is connected to a maintained network. Contact your IT person or whoever is maintaining your network for further assistance.

If your printer had a 192.168 or 10 address, then we can continue with troubleshooting. Now the following steps can be performed:

1. In your browser's address bar type in the IP Address as it appears on the printer.
  2. Click on the Networking tab along the top.
  3. On the left side you should find an option with a name similar to Network Protocols. Click on that.
  4. On the right side select to Enable IPv4 only or uncheck the box next to IPv6.
  5. Click on Apply.
  6. On the left side you should find an option with a name similar to Network Address (IP) or IPv4 Configuration. Click on that.
  7. On the right, select Manual IP Address.
  8. For the IP Address, enter the IP Address exactly as it appears on the printer.
  9. For the Subnet Mask, enter 255.255.255.0.
  10. For the Default Gateway, enter the first three sets of numbers as they appear on the printer. The fourth number should be a 1.
  11. Select Manual DNS Settings.
  12. For the Primary DNS enter 8.8.8.8.
  13. For the Secondary DNS enter 8.8.4.4.
  14. Click on Apply.
  15. Turn the printer off and on again.
  16. Try to enable web services.
  17. If you are still unable to enable web services, enter 209.244.0.3 for the Primary and 209.244.0.4 as the Secondary and click on Apply.

At this point you should be able to enable web services. If not, the next step would be to contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with your router for assistance with determining why the router is blocking the printer's communication.

Please let me know the results of following the above and if the above does not allow you to enable web services, please tell me what happened after contacting your internet provider. If your issue is resolved, please click on Accept Solution so that other users can find this post. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. You will find both below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

tl;dr: quick (but yucky) solution: make sure you're using dhcp for ipv4.

Just bought this same printer this week, had very similar problems. Tried to follow Doc's walkthrough, found that it didn't match up with either the firmware that shipped on the printer or the newest firmware (from March/April 2016 that I uploaded through the USB port).  

The miss from HP's side (in my case) is that I can't find ANYWHERE to configure dns if you do manual ip assignment vs DHCP. It doesn't matter what ip range you're using, if you can't tell your printer what DNS servers to use, it can't look up hostnames.  That's very unfortunate, because my wireless router has a tendency to screw up assignments, causing my printers to get moved around, which means the printer definitions on my windows machines have to be recreated (or fixed). DO_NOT_LIKE!

So HP-- please fix this!  Or-- please tell this clueless user where I've missed the boat? Either answer will do.

[Even though I'm asking a question of my own, because I think the question is entirely related to the OP I think it belongs to this thread. Happy to create a new thread if others feel differently.]

HP Recommended

I was given this link by a GoogleFiber Support:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m277-series/7089945/model/7654942/doc...

Basically to solve the problem, connect your printer via the ethernet connection to the router.  Let it correct the IP4 ip address to 192.168.1.112 as an example to correct your problem if attempting to coneect via wireless where you were getting for the IP4 ip Connection address as 169.254.164.132 etc.  Once you have corrected the IP4 to 192.168.... then you can establish HP ePrint to On.  Once done with this setup with the ethernet connection then you can disconnect Ethernet connection and go back to reestablishing your wireless connection and you should now get the proper IP4 to 192.... connection and now can turn on the HP ePrint to On.  Just follow the instructions to the above listed document.  Oh, it is a funny statement to think that disconnecting from a surge protector to a regular wall electrical connection is strange.  But I bit for that.  And just a bunch of hewy.  Printer works thru surge protection.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.