Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been using our Laserjet 400 Pro M401n since it was installed more than a year ago. Until very recently, it worked like a champ. Within the last two weeks or so, the default printer has changed from the tray at the bottom of the printer to the manual feed tray on the front of the cabinet. I don't know how this change occurred and would like to change it back. Can someone please direct me with the correct steps to revert to the main paper supply? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Dinz0817,

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure, I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums, since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I hope this helps.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@Dinz0817 

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the hp.com forums. There are a couple of things you can check to resolve your issue.

1. Make sure tray 1 (manual feed tray) is not open. If this is open, the printer will always default to pulling paper from this tray.

2. Check your printer driver settings and see if something was change there. Go to printer preferences > Paper/Quality tab > paper source > what is this set to?

Here is the screenshot from mine (set to automatic) - you can change the settings by pulling down the menu under paper source. Change to the appropriate setting

paperqualitytab.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

@AuntieEm

I have all my settings set the same as yours and when I try and print my labels it still wants to grab from my closed tray 1 or click OK for available media. So having the tray closed does not automatically grab from the other tray.

Any insite would be wonderfull.

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@AuntieEm wrote:

@Dinz0817 

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the hp.com forums. There are a couple of things you can check to resolve your issue.

1. Make sure tray 1 (manual feed tray) is not open. If this is open, the printer will always default to pulling paper from this tray.

2. Check your printer driver settings and see if something was change there. Go to printer preferences > Paper/Quality tab > paper source > what is this set to?

Here is the screenshot from mine (set to automatic) - you can change the settings by pulling down the menu under paper source. Change to the appropriate setting

paperqualitytab.JPG

My setting are the same.  I still receive a message to load tray 1 plain, 8.5x 13 or press[ok] to use available media.  I did not see and answer to the prior message.

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue. I have done on the suggested steps and the computer/printer automatically changes the default tray back to Tray 1 every time.

Please advise.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.