Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4750 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hey guys, trying to understand why I could print without Drivers, and now can't?  I'm impressed that I could Print without Drivers lol, but now would like to understand what exactly is going on here?

I really appreciate being able to print without all the HP Software to be honest.  Trying to keep a pc clean and running good is such a chore.  Can anyone tell me the Terminology of the Software being used to print without Drivers, and how I might make it work again?

I had this issue once before, but this time I think it was a matter of getting a new Router which lost whatever connection it had to the printer.  

- I tried connecting via WPS method.

- Also tried to Uninstall Printer from the "Devices and Printers" and Re-boot to no avail.

- I will keep trying, arrrgggg! lol

Thanks, pc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @pcpunk

Thank you for posting back.

All the windows software will have preinstalled generic drivers for the printers which you can install and print without installing software or driver downloading from a DVD or the web.

Please refer to the below article for more information.

http://hp.care/2bYE4kP

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @pcpunk

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is unable to print wirelessly.

I’d love to help!

I would like to inform you that you will not be able to print without the printer drivers installed on the computer. However, you can certainly print without install the full feature software by just installing the basic printer drivers.

I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

NOTE: Follow the manual steps to fix the issue.

http://hp.care/2nEatSH

Let me know how it works and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette, Thank you very much for that link, it's very good.  I was going to run the HP Print and Scan Doctor next but I was unaware of that link.  I look forward to using it to see if it will help me in the future.

However, I'm still curious as  to how I was printing WITHOUT INSTALLING DRIVERS?  

Trust me, I did this before also, so I know it is possible, but don't know by what pathway it is printing?  Can you help me track down this phenomonon?  If I know how to do this again it will help me if I'm on the road working etc. and need to print from another HP Printer.

I can see the Printer in "Devices and Printers" and it says this "HP Photosmart C4700 series Class Driver"

Thanks, pcpunk

HP Recommended

Hi @pcpunk

All the windows software will have preinstalled generic drivers for the printers which you can install and print without installing software or driver downloading from a DVD or the web.

Please refer to the below article for more information.

http://hp.care/2bYE4kP

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette, I'll be back  brother, got some work to do for now.  Still having some questions about all this Printing with inbuilt drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi @pcpunk

Please perform the steps I have provided when whenever you get time and let me know how it works.

Keep me posted and I hope you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.