Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows Vista

I recently purchased this printer (OfficeJet 8710) and when I first hooked it up, the wireless functionality worked fine. The next time I tried to print something wirelessly, I couldn't. It had been disconnected from the wireless router somehow. I contacted support, and through 2 hours we tried multiple things including turning the printer on and off about a hundred times, and changing a setting on my router. Nothing worked and I ran out of time as I had an appointment. That evening, I tried to connect the printer again. I managed to make it work but I'm really not sure what I did. I think I finally got it to work through the app on my cell phone but I'm not sure. It worked GREAT for about a week, and then today, it refuses to work again.

It can find the router, but when I enter the password to sign in, it tries to connect for a minute or two, and then says "unable to connect to the network. For diagnostic information, touch "Print Report."

It prints fine from the pc, but I can't get it to connect to the network so that I can print from my cell phone or laptop, both of which worked find last week. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed.

I also downloaded the troubleshooting program and nothing there worked either.

For the diagnostic results, they say:

Diagnostics Results

Wireless

Wireless On   Pass

Wireless Working    Pass

Connectivity

Connected     Not Run

Disconnect count total     11

Disconnect count (last hour)     0

Disconnect count (last 24 hours)         0

Network

Network Name (SSID) found     PASS

Other networks detected matching your network name (SSID)     NO

Wireless Networks detected         2

Settings 

Printer Settings Consistent with Wireless Router Settings       Pass

No Filtering      FAIL

Channel      Not Run

Security     PASS

Current Configuration

Network Name     (my network name)

Hardware Address     (gives the MAC)

IP Address        (says not applicable)

Configuration Source      (says not applicable)

Communication mode     (Infrastructure)

Authentication Type     (WPA2-PSK)

Encryption     Automatic (AES or TKIP)

Internet     (says not applicable)

Also, it has a suggested soluction with is that I need to disable MAC address disabled, but it's already disabled so it can't be that.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Seems that the printer is not connected. We'd like to suggest that you Restore Network Defaults and then try to use the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect the printer to your wireless network.

These relevant resources will show you how it's done:

Restore Printer Network Settings

Connecting a printer using Wireless Setup Wizard

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

If you have this same problem, read on!

Once you follow the prompts in the wi-fi wireless setup wizard, just don't press any more buttons, let it be.

It beeped or told me I had an error/incorrect password, but I literally just left it and didn't press anything.

Then it magically reconnected to wifi and start working again.  

See if it works for you like that.  If you know you typed in your wifi password correctly, just wait and see if you have the same results.  Just don't press any other buttons to interrupt this process... because the times I went back to the menu and restarted the wizard again or printed out a configuration page, it didn't resolve the issue.  

Hope this helps someone out there!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this - i have been fighting with the printer all day -- i was with the router help desk and that wasnt it -- i just needed to rest the netwrok defaults!!!!   YAY

@greenturtle wrote:

Hi,

Seems that the printer is not connected. We'd like to suggest that you Restore Network Defaults and then try to use the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect the printer to your wireless network.

These relevant resources will show you how it's done:

Restore Printer Network Settings

Connecting a printer using Wireless Setup Wizard

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Hi @heatherannleach,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

I have even returned original printer and got a new one and still wont connect. My wifi signal is strong and all other devices are connected. I am so frustrated. PLEASE HELP!

HP Recommended

Hi @mdcaine 

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

What is the printer model?

HP Recommended

I previously wrote that waiting a bit after entering the WiFi password (not clicking any buttons) helped. It did, but it was very temporary. Turned out that the printer stopped showing up on the network and I had to just connect it with a cord whenever I wanted to print. Printing took longer to print this way, too. We accepted that for a long while until I called again asking how this could happen and they saw the wifi signal was strong and troubleshooting went no where. It frustrated my family enough that we went to the store and bought a new printer of a different brand. I can only say that I did my best to make the hp model work and it is unfortunate that this had issues. I encourage HP to look into the prevelancy of this issue with their their models because it does affect product satisfaction.

HP Recommended

I get a message on the 8710 screen that says the wi-fi feature has been disabled. How do I restore it? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.