Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to connect to Web Services as it has not been enabled. The printer says I have no connection, but the wireless blue light is lit. It says I need a proxy address. I have the printer status report, is this address on here? I put in what I thought was the address and I am then asked to enter the proxy port; how do I know what this is? I seem to be going round in circles! Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I had actually found the problem was that the network driver hadn't installed from the disc.  After downloading and installing it all was OK.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Before enabling Web Services your printer needs to be on your wireless network and that network needs to have a reliable connection to the internet. Here's a link with some actions to help troubleshoot wireless printing problems HP Wireless Printing Center

Hopefully this will help you solve your problem.

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I had actually found the problem was that the network driver hadn't installed from the disc.  After downloading and installing it all was OK.

HP Recommended

Great, I'm glad you got up and running, enjoy using web services on your printer:smileyhappy:

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the exact same problem except it's on an ethernet officejet 6500A. I connected the ethernet cable, ran the setup disk, everything fine - but I keep getting the "no connection" message when I try to go to apps on the printer screen. When I click setup ->network->view network summary I get an ip address and a hostname. When I click on setup ->web services setup  I am asked to enable web services. I click on continue, then I am asked to accept the terms. I click on yes and then I get the message "no connection, a proxy address might be required to connect to web services. I prinetd the network configuration page report which shows network status "ready", active connection type "wired", there is a URL for embedded web server, there is a hostname and a hardware address, there is an ip address and a subnet mask. default gateway is 0.0.0.0 as are the DNS primary and secondary (both are 0.0.0.0). port 9100 status is enabled. microsoft web services shows as enabled and IPP status is enabled. Can you help please? Thank you. 

HP Recommended

I would try the following steps.

1. Open an internet browser type printer's IP address.

2. Should bring you to the printer's status page.

3. Select network tab at the top.

4. Left hand side select IPv4 .

5. Under DNS address Configuration select Manual DNS Server.

6. For Preferred enter 8.8.8.8

7. For Alternate enter 8.8.4.4

8. Select apply. You might get a warning saying this could interrupt connection that's fine.

9. Turn printer off for about 30 seconds then try again to access apps.

HP Recommended
Ok, I did as you said - it didn't do anything. Same message as before 😞
HP Recommended

Could it be that the web apps capability of the 6500A requires an Ethernet (physical) connection to the router? Right now it's connected to a pc which in turn is connected wirelessly to the router.  Could that be the problem?

HP Recommended

The printer does require its own connection to the internet...either wireless (or if the printer includes that feature) via ethernet.  

Either connect the ethernet cable directly to your router, or connect the printer to your wireless network. 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much, very helpful!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.