Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am attempting to print wirelessly to my HP J6480 All-in-one OfficeJet printer, from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet  which is running Android 4.4 using the "HP Print Service Plugin on the tablet.

Steps already taken;

Sucessfully downloaded/installed the HP Print Service Plugin on tablet

Sucessfully turned on wireless radio on printer and sucessfully configured printer to communicate with wireless router.

Problem:

When attempting to print something from the tablet to the printer wirelessly, the printer attempts to do the print operation (feeds paper into printer from paper tray, indicates "Printing" on the printer display), but then never does the actual printing and gets a "Carriage Jam" indication on the printer display.

When the above occurs, I've opened the top cover, checked for paper jammed in the paper pathway (nothing there), did power cycle of printer numerous times, did cartrige cleanings and cartridge alignments numerous times, changed the paper to different types of paper.

None of the above actions corrected the problem.....

I'll also add that when doing print operations with the wireless radio on the printer turned off and ethernet cable connected to printer, the printer functions normally when doing print requests from my pc - no carriage jams. The printer also functions normally when doing a "copy" function locally from the printer control panel - no carrige jams.

I thought possibly a firmware upgrade to the printer might fix this problem - any thoughts on that being a likely solution?

BTW - how would you normally clear/correct a carriage jam anyway - regardless of printing wirelessly or via ethernet cable?

If the firmware upgrade is not a solution, any feedback on what might be causing the problem?

If a firmware upgrade is suggested, could you point me to how to do the upgrade and where I can download it from?

Thanks for any feedback........Denny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

E-rog,

Two things......first I wanted to thank you very much for the response to my original post concerning the problem of printing wirelessly to my HP J6480 printer from the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet via the HP Print Service Plugin.

Second, I wanted to aplogize for the very long delay in responding to you......I had some health issues with a family member that prevented me from trying your suggestions to the problem.

I'm happy to report that I was successfull in fixing the problem.....I'm now able to print to the printer from the tablet.

Some history on the fix....

I attempted to download and install the firmware update from the link you provided, while having the printer connected to the PC computer (Windows) via a USB connection as you suggested. (It originally was connected via my home network, so I had to uninstall it first, then reinstall it via the USB connection). When attempting to install the downloaded firmware it failed, even after several attempts at re-downloading/re-installing.

I instead uninstalled the printer again, reinstalled it via the home network, downloaded the firmware update directly from the HP site by locating the printer model, then the firmware. This time the firmware installed successfully (was able to view the firmware install progress in the printer front panel display). Doing the firmware install with the printer installed on the home network (instead fo via USB), the install process allowed me to do a search for the printer on the network - it found it successfully and the firmware installed successfully.

After this successful firmware install and turning on the wireless radio on the printer (via front panel button), I was able to print successfully from the tablet......YES!!!!!!

Needless to say, there were no carriage jam messages as before.....and I did not have to try your other suggestions of going to the HP article on carriage jam error states/solutions.

I'm really gratefull for your response/suggestions......fixing this problem has made the usefullness of my tablet increase dramatically with having print capability......cudos to you for your efforts on this forum and a big "thumbs up" for your records.

Denny

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @dencmar

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. :robothappy:

I see that you're encountering carriage jam error statuses when printing wirelessly and via the HP Print Service Plugin using your HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist. 

Firstly, thanks for the details you've provided on what's happening and the steps you've taken to alleviate the issue. You have tried much of what I would typically suggest. I couldn't tell you why you're running into this carriage jam message, but I do recommend a two-prong approach to preventing future error states:

1. Install a firmware update  

If you still have it, connect the printer to your computer via usb (just for this step - you can go back to your ethernet and hopefully the wireless setup after). If you're a Windows user click here to install the latest firmware update. Mind you, it's from 2008, so you might already have the latest version applied. Once this is finished (or even if it fails or reports that you're already up-to-date), move onto my next suggestion. 

2. Try further hardware troubleshooting steps 

I have located an article from HP that details a number of tips to remedy carriage jam error states. Click here  and try Solutions Three through Six.

Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post. If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking to accept this solution.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. Have a great day!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

E-rog,

Two things......first I wanted to thank you very much for the response to my original post concerning the problem of printing wirelessly to my HP J6480 printer from the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet via the HP Print Service Plugin.

Second, I wanted to aplogize for the very long delay in responding to you......I had some health issues with a family member that prevented me from trying your suggestions to the problem.

I'm happy to report that I was successfull in fixing the problem.....I'm now able to print to the printer from the tablet.

Some history on the fix....

I attempted to download and install the firmware update from the link you provided, while having the printer connected to the PC computer (Windows) via a USB connection as you suggested. (It originally was connected via my home network, so I had to uninstall it first, then reinstall it via the USB connection). When attempting to install the downloaded firmware it failed, even after several attempts at re-downloading/re-installing.

I instead uninstalled the printer again, reinstalled it via the home network, downloaded the firmware update directly from the HP site by locating the printer model, then the firmware. This time the firmware installed successfully (was able to view the firmware install progress in the printer front panel display). Doing the firmware install with the printer installed on the home network (instead fo via USB), the install process allowed me to do a search for the printer on the network - it found it successfully and the firmware installed successfully.

After this successful firmware install and turning on the wireless radio on the printer (via front panel button), I was able to print successfully from the tablet......YES!!!!!!

Needless to say, there were no carriage jam messages as before.....and I did not have to try your other suggestions of going to the HP article on carriage jam error states/solutions.

I'm really gratefull for your response/suggestions......fixing this problem has made the usefullness of my tablet increase dramatically with having print capability......cudos to you for your efforts on this forum and a big "thumbs up" for your records.

Denny

HP Recommended

Thanks for the inputs @dencmar and glad to hear the issue is now resolved

🙂

www.hp.com/go/wirelessprinting

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.