Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A couple of weeks ago we changed Internet providers & I have plugged our devices (desktop, tablets, phones & printer) into the new system.  We now have AT&T U-verse with a fiberoptic cable coming to a hub not far from our house & a dedicated copper circuit from there to the gateway/router. They claim we have a steady 18 Mgbps service. 

Everything seems to be working fine. We have had nothing drop or cause any issues. However, our HP printer says it is plugged into the Internet. It supplies all the correct information & it works fine from our devices. But the Asus desktop computer has been insisting that the printer is offline even though I have printed documents from it. Today, Windows did an update and when I checked the update report it said it could not update the printer because it is offline & it will not print. I then printed something again. 

This failure to update is my real issue. When I have checked in Settings in Windows 10 on the desktop, it has also insisted that the printer is offline. So I clicked on the app icon for the Print & Scan Doctor. This also insisted the printer is not connected & that it cannot connect it from the Internet. Again, the printer prints in spite of this reported disconnect. 

I do not know if the printer is actually being updated even though the update report said it is not. I have had no problem since with the printer since reconnecting the devices & printer or since the update today. After I made 4 or 5 attempts to install the software with the Print & Scan app, I checked in Windows 10 Settings & it still insisted that the printer remains offline.

However, I just now checked in Settings, Printers & scanners again in Windows 10 on the Asus desktop & for the first time it reports "HP ENVY 5660 series (Network)" & "Serial Number (HP ENVY 5660 series)" as reporting for duty.  The first one said it cannot print when I tried a test page; but, the second one printed a test page. Is the first one representing the scanner and it cannot print because no document was selected?

When I set up this Asus desktop & printer in February when I purchased them, I did it using WIFI only, using no USB connection, to do it and the printer has always worked from our devices just as it continues to do.

Again, my real issue is the stated failure of Windows 10 to update.

Thank you for taking the time to wade through this message and thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

HP Recommended

Your recommmended solution solved the problem for the printer & computer communication. The desktop now acknowledges that the printer is connected and the printer still prints from multiple devices from a website or a document sourced on a device. 

However, in Windows 10 Settings, Printers & scanners, the icon representing the scanner says the driver is unavailable. However, it scans & saves to the desktop when I use the controls on the printer screen & when I use the controls on the desktop screen. 

I tried using the installation disk that came with the HP ENVY 5660 e-All-in-One series. It told me everything is already installed properly. The app for the scanner found in the app list in the Start Menu repeated the same rumor.

As before, everything seems to work; but, will Windows 10 update it?

Again, thank you for the solution with the printer. Also, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Doodle2

HP Recommended

Hi @Doodle2,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

As to whether Win 10 will update it, it's anybody's guess. If anything happens, try to Uninstall and reinstall the FULL feature software, it should resolve the issue most of the time.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.