Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
office jet 4620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hi all!

My HP utility software gives an error message when I try to do anything with my printer (print the test page, for example). The message is: "Printer is in an error state. Please resolve the error condition for the device and try again."

There is no error message on the printer itself.

I am able to print the test page and the diagnostic page from the printer itself and everything on them seems normal. The printer is connected to the network.

I cleared the printer from my computer and installed it again, I downloaded the latest drivers for Mac, to no avail.

Please help!

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @alexlaurinmath,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting the error "Printer is in an error state. Please resolve the error condition for the device and try again" when using the HP Utility Software. Thanks for providing all the detailed information. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

The driver from the website that you provided are basic drivers, you would need to reinstall the HP Officejet 4620 series Full Feature Software and Drivers in order to use the HP Utility.

Please uninstall the software first and then install the new drivers. Here is the link for the uninstall: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Mac).

If you are still having issues then try the following steps:

Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac:
Close all applications.
On the Apple menu bar, click Go, click Applications and then click Utilities.
Double-click Disk Utility.
Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left.
Click Verify and then Repair Disk Permissions.

Restart the computer.

Reset the Printing System:

Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Click the Apple icon and then click System Preferences.
Click Printers & Scanners.
Right-click (or Ctrl +click) in the left white side panel, then click Reset printing system.
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type the correct Name and Password.
Click OK to reset the printing system.
Then click the + sign to add the driver, highlight the printer. (you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name) Then click on the Add button.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" to thank me for my efforts! If this helps you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution". Keep me posted. Good Luck! 

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hi Gemini02,
I got it fixed, finally. There were some error windows lurking around behind other windows on another desktop on my machine. Once I acknowledged those, everything worked again.

Thanks!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.