Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8610 Pro All in ONe
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi there,

I accidentally disabled all the services to the Printer. Which includes, web services, network connections and fax and scan etc. Now I cannot connect to the network again. I tried to enable the web services and the network services. It says that these services have been disabled so contact the administrator or the person who set it up. I am that person and I have no clue how ot get it back. I tried various forums but could not get a satisfactory answer.

Also please note that my Printer is on a static IP address and I cannot connect to the Printer, not through the Embeded web page or the mobile app or any other means.

I really need an expert to pitch in and help me reenable all my services without losing the set up details. My printer is also configured to use HP Connected for ink and also it is set up to receive and send emails and store scanned dcouments on to an NAS. The nature of the problemis bit complicated so please considering all these unfortunate events, please help me out. Factory default is the path I don't want to take, because that will destroy everything currently set up. Please don't tell me that is the only way to go.

Warm Regards,

Kamshah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the support guys but the problem was such that it cannot be fixed wihtout a full / semi reset and I had to go that route and fix it. However the real issue is in the software.

There are two options : enable all and disable all in security settings.

The tricky thing is there are two contradictory set ups in this menu. When you enable all : there is one thing called "lock control at the panel", so this locks the printer and you cannot operate anything at the panel. Ideally, it should still be good to be cotnrolled using the EWS but it somehow locks everything and you have to again do the semi/full reset. This glitch needs to be verified by HP and fixed.

If you select dsiable all, there is one thing that gets disabled is " Web Services". Now this is tricky. Once the web services get disabled, you cannot connect your printer to the network at all. This in my opion works as designed..... disabling everything and you have to again go through the semi/full reset. Because it disables everything. My problem was falling in this category and so I had no option but to reset.

Never attempt to Disable all, other wise you will disable everything.

Here is the solution if you accidentally disable all : 

Go to the control panel of the printer.

Tap 4 times at the lcation where the "back" button light appears (bottom left corner of the LCD pannel, in the darker area),

This will invoke the support menu.

Select Reset Menu and select semi/ full reset.

Caution : This will reset all your network setups like your scan to email, scan to network folders and digital fax and your Static IP (if you used one) and all other network related preferences. So that is a big headache and time waster and you have to reset everything.

The printer will shut off on its own, restart  and it will again perform all checks and your network will be opeaional again. You will have to enable web services and re connect it to your network.

So , if you accidentally disable all, this is the route you will have to go. Very painful but lesson learned the hardway....

My only suggestion to HP is that : Please do not configure your settings in a confusing way.  As a system administrator, there has to be a way to fix such accidental actions. I mean, if everything is disabled, wirelessly, if I connec the priner with ethernet, I should still be able to go the EWS and reverse what I did accidentally. Presently, this feature is either missing or unknown to most of the Technical support Rep. at HP. Serious issue because of the design lacuna.

There should be "an emergecny exit" in the sense that if something is messed up wirelessly, it should be possible to revert by connecting the printer with ethernet by the administrator and vice versa.

Please feel free to close this issue and mark this as a "solution" if you think so.

KamShah

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Kamshah,

Welcome to Expert's Day on the HP Support Forum!

Let me see if I can assist you. Do you have HP Printer Assistant installed on your computer? HP Printer Assistant might be able to retreive the information we need to get your printer back online without having to restore to factory defaults.

Go to HP Printer Assistant Software Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) > Is Printer Assistant installed on my computer, and then continue to the next FAQ: How do I download Printer Assistant.

Let me know if HP Printer Assistant "sees" your printer.

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

Yes, I do have it. I tried using it to get something out of it, but could not get anything. Like "Connect Printer to the web" and EWS but nithing worked.

the challenge is also that the Printer is using static IP address. That adds to the challenge. BUt the static IP adddress keeps my priner in good connection so I opted for it. However, your suggestions are welcomed as long as I can fix the problem wihtout doing a factory reset.

Warm Regards,

KamShah

HP Recommended

Hi Kamshah,

I've been looking into this issue and I've found a few things you can try: first, please go to http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146, click Running Print and Scan Doctorand then find the link to download the software. Follow the on-screen prompts to select your type of issue and let program troubleshoot. Many customers found that this helped re-enable their services. Let me know what happens! If it doesn't work, we will keep trying other options.

Jesyka 🙂

I work on behalf of HP. #HPExpertsDay

Please click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you. Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the support guys but the problem was such that it cannot be fixed wihtout a full / semi reset and I had to go that route and fix it. However the real issue is in the software.

There are two options : enable all and disable all in security settings.

The tricky thing is there are two contradictory set ups in this menu. When you enable all : there is one thing called "lock control at the panel", so this locks the printer and you cannot operate anything at the panel. Ideally, it should still be good to be cotnrolled using the EWS but it somehow locks everything and you have to again do the semi/full reset. This glitch needs to be verified by HP and fixed.

If you select dsiable all, there is one thing that gets disabled is " Web Services". Now this is tricky. Once the web services get disabled, you cannot connect your printer to the network at all. This in my opion works as designed..... disabling everything and you have to again go through the semi/full reset. Because it disables everything. My problem was falling in this category and so I had no option but to reset.

Never attempt to Disable all, other wise you will disable everything.

Here is the solution if you accidentally disable all : 

Go to the control panel of the printer.

Tap 4 times at the lcation where the "back" button light appears (bottom left corner of the LCD pannel, in the darker area),

This will invoke the support menu.

Select Reset Menu and select semi/ full reset.

Caution : This will reset all your network setups like your scan to email, scan to network folders and digital fax and your Static IP (if you used one) and all other network related preferences. So that is a big headache and time waster and you have to reset everything.

The printer will shut off on its own, restart  and it will again perform all checks and your network will be opeaional again. You will have to enable web services and re connect it to your network.

So , if you accidentally disable all, this is the route you will have to go. Very painful but lesson learned the hardway....

My only suggestion to HP is that : Please do not configure your settings in a confusing way.  As a system administrator, there has to be a way to fix such accidental actions. I mean, if everything is disabled, wirelessly, if I connec the priner with ethernet, I should still be able to go the EWS and reverse what I did accidentally. Presently, this feature is either missing or unknown to most of the Technical support Rep. at HP. Serious issue because of the design lacuna.

There should be "an emergecny exit" in the sense that if something is messed up wirelessly, it should be possible to revert by connecting the printer with ethernet by the administrator and vice versa.

Please feel free to close this issue and mark this as a "solution" if you think so.

KamShah

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.