Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Universal Printing PCL 6
Other

I would like the printer to print the QR code using the command sequence in the PCL language. The documentation for the PCL 5 can not find this command. Is such a display is possible at all?

Thanks for the tip

Yours sincerely,

Matjaz

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is no standard "command sequence in the PCL language" to print a QR Code bar-code symbol.

Most LaserJet printers can print most images, including bar-codes (1-D or 2-D).

But, to my knowledge, none of them can produce bar-codes without third-party assistance, which could take the form of:

• An add-on hardware/firmware solution which provides a suitable font and data conversion algorithm.
  • A downloadable soft font and a data conversion algorithm to run on the workstation.
  • A data conversion routine to run on the workstation, producing an image which a printer could convert to printer-suitable format (using either vector/raster graphics, or soft font).

With simple 1-D bar-codes like Code-39, the data conversion algorithm is quite simple; with others (e.g. Code 128, EAN13) the algorithm is rather more complex.

And with the 2-D barcodes (e.g. PDF417, Data Matrix, QRCode) the algorithm is at least an order of magnitude more complex than those.

I think that some Brother (e.g. HL-2270) and Xerox printers do have appropriate fonts and data conversion algorithms built-in to the firmware - but perhaps only for 1-D bar-codes. 

HP Recommended

Dear dansdaduk,

Thanks for the reply,
Unfortunately, this is not the right solution to my problem, because I do not have the possibility of generating the image of the QR code before I send the text to the printer. Now I printing only in text mode, using PCL 5 command language.

The only solution will be to display the entire text in graphic mode via drivers.

Thanks anyway,
Matjaz

HP Recommended

... or purchase a suitable add-on unit (if available) for your particular target printer model.

See, for example, http://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/business-solutions/printingsolutions/ljfonts/barcode.html

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.