Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

When my HP 8500 officejet A909a printer is turned on it spends a lot of time chugging away before it is ready to use. During this time it claims to be cleaning the ink heads.

How much ink does it use cleaning its ink heads?

Is it better to leave the machine turned on in order to minimise this cleaning process?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Simplefella,

Yes you should leave the unit on, as this will prevent so much cleaning. Ifyou turn it off completly the unit will clean its inktheads as a precoution. Because this unit has a fax it is designed to be turned on at all times. To prevent a lot of power use there is a sleep mode built in to the printer.

ONly small amount of ink are used for cleaning but if you shut it down all the time a lot more cleaning will be done then is neccesary.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Simplefella,

Yes you should leave the unit on, as this will prevent so much cleaning. Ifyou turn it off completly the unit will clean its inktheads as a precoution. Because this unit has a fax it is designed to be turned on at all times. To prevent a lot of power use there is a sleep mode built in to the printer.

ONly small amount of ink are used for cleaning but if you shut it down all the time a lot more cleaning will be done then is neccesary.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended

we had the ink turn off because we where grone for 6 mo. now iI whant use the printer the ink is truned off . How can I turn on again?

HP Recommended
Just turn your printer on and your ink should work.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.