Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro8610
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Been searching the forums, and can't find an answer that works. So I'm posting a new question.

Bought my printer and signed up for instant ink. All was well. Except that the black cartridge they sent me kept "disconnecting" from the printer - it would say black cartridge was not installed, etc. Just kept releasing and re-seating the cartridge to keep printing. Very annoying. But everything worked for a few months.

Printer started telling me to "connect to web services" to keep up the count on my instant ink etc...

Couldn't get it to connect, even though the printer was online. Tried all the solutions I could find on the forum for a couple of weeks, resetting router, printer, changing to manual dns, etc...nothing. Finally, between this and the junk ink cartridge, I cancelled my instant ink subscription, reset the printer to "factory", installed new store bought cartridges.

Now no problem with the black cartridge, but now every time I want to print, the printer is still telling me to connect to web services. And it is still impossible. Even if I wanted to go back to instank ink, it will not connect. Wireless is fine. I can get into the printer via browser anytime I want...

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REALLY GET THIS TO STOP? I wish I had never signed up for that service...Can't call HP because they say my printer is out of warranty...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @CMR9416

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. That sounds like quite the headache inducing situation. I would like to help you out. 

Sounds like you have run the full gauntlet of troubleshooting. One thing I would like to suggest. The OfficeJet Pro 8610, 20 and 30 have this quirk about them. If the date and time is not correct on the printer it will not connect to Web Services. I am not sure why this is, but I have encountered this on numerous occasions. 

• Swiped the display from right to left. 
  • Touch Setup. 
  • Touch Printer Setup. 
  • Touch Date and Time. 
  • Make sure this is correct. If it is correct try making it wrong then right again. 

I would also suggest removing Web Services then enabling it again, but this would have been done when you restored the printer to factory defaults. 

Here is some information you may find really helpful. This is an Instant Ink issue. Even if the printer is out of warranty it will be supported by the Instant Ink team. "But I have canceled the service" you say? In my experience that hasn't been a problem.

The situation as I see it is this: You have cancelled Instant Ink but since the printer can't connect to Web Services the printer still thinks it may be enrolled. This makes it a Web Services/Instant Ink issue and perfectly reasonable that they help you get this resolved.

Canada and the United States – HP Cloud Services at 1-855-785-2777 (indicating your call is about the Instant Ink Program) Monday to Saturday 8 a.m. ET – 11 p.m. ET and Sunday 10 a.m. ET - 7 p.m. ET 

If you are outside of Canada or the US use this link to find the contact information. 

If this helped you in any way, awesome! Feel free to click Kudos or Accepted Solution as you see fit. 

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @CMR9416

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. That sounds like quite the headache inducing situation. I would like to help you out. 

Sounds like you have run the full gauntlet of troubleshooting. One thing I would like to suggest. The OfficeJet Pro 8610, 20 and 30 have this quirk about them. If the date and time is not correct on the printer it will not connect to Web Services. I am not sure why this is, but I have encountered this on numerous occasions. 

• Swiped the display from right to left. 
  • Touch Setup. 
  • Touch Printer Setup. 
  • Touch Date and Time. 
  • Make sure this is correct. If it is correct try making it wrong then right again. 

I would also suggest removing Web Services then enabling it again, but this would have been done when you restored the printer to factory defaults. 

Here is some information you may find really helpful. This is an Instant Ink issue. Even if the printer is out of warranty it will be supported by the Instant Ink team. "But I have canceled the service" you say? In my experience that hasn't been a problem.

The situation as I see it is this: You have cancelled Instant Ink but since the printer can't connect to Web Services the printer still thinks it may be enrolled. This makes it a Web Services/Instant Ink issue and perfectly reasonable that they help you get this resolved.

Canada and the United States – HP Cloud Services at 1-855-785-2777 (indicating your call is about the Instant Ink Program) Monday to Saturday 8 a.m. ET – 11 p.m. ET and Sunday 10 a.m. ET - 7 p.m. ET 

If you are outside of Canada or the US use this link to find the contact information. 

If this helped you in any way, awesome! Feel free to click Kudos or Accepted Solution as you see fit. 

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Wow! That fixed it!

Corrected the date and time, and it connected right away.  Such a simple thing, and I've spent hours searching the web and the forum for a solution... the date and time was all messed up...even the year!

I won't bother to ask how it got messed up after months of working correctly, just glad it's all back up and running!

Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear its fixed 🙂 

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.