Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I've tried to go into my wireless settings so I can connect to a new router, however the Wireless setup wizard keeps showing the error message "The feature has been locked by your administrator or the person who set up the printer". I have not locked this and I am the only user of the printer. Both the Wireless Setup Wizard and Wi-Fi Protected Setup are locked.

I then tried to do a hard reset which did not work. And trying to Restore Network Settings using the HP Embedded Server only removed connection to my old router without giving me further options to set up new wireless settings. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @JF08, good morning and welcome to the HP Forums! 

Based on your description, it sounds like a full reset may be necessary. I'm not sure how it got locked but the simplest way out is a factory reset. 

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know by @Bob_Headrick

Please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Please take a moment to read HP’s Privacy Policy at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/ww-privacy.html  This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @JF08, good morning and welcome to the HP Forums! 

Based on your description, it sounds like a full reset may be necessary. I'm not sure how it got locked but the simplest way out is a factory reset. 

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know by @Bob_Headrick

Please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Please take a moment to read HP’s Privacy Policy at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/ww-privacy.html  This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thanks for the advice I think I have sorted out the issue but now have a problem getting the printer to recognise my email address for scanning purposes!
HP Recommended

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It possible you may need to refresh the connection between the printer and the software on the computer. You can try a simple restart on the computer and if that doesn't work you might need to uninstall and reinstall the software. Let me know if you need any help uninstalling and/or reinstalling. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
There is no problem with the connection to laptop or software installation as I can scan to the desktop of my MacBook Air and can operate the printer from my laptop. My issue lies with scanning and sending to a gmail account which I'm having issues setting up on the embedded server. Strange as I didn't experience this problem the first time I set it up to the same email account. Thanks for taking the time to help.
HP Recommended

I misunderstood, thanks for clarifying! Are you seeing some sort of error in the Embedded Web Server when you try to setup the scan to email? Let me know exactly what happens and include your email provider in your response, some providers have added security that sometimes causes hiccups. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.