Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M127fw
Chrome OS

My printer had been working fine for a couple of years, printing via hpconnected. I have chromebooks and the printer is registered with cloudprint. About a month ago my status on HP connected switched to "offline", though I was still able to print, but not scan. I don't know why this happened, but after much fiddling I decided to restore printer defaults, which made it so I couldn't even print. After many chat sessions I was able to reinstall the latest firmware on to my printer via an old pc laptop (vista 32 bit). However because my printer was still stuck in "offline" mode on hpconnected I decided to remove the registered printer and reinstall it, However I am now unable to get a claim code.  I think part of the reason is that during one of the chat sessions one of the technicians suggested I change my printer ip address to 192.168.1.250. I can't access my printer via that new ip address. Any advice would really be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks,

Reset the network faults and was able to access the ip address. Also the hp print app works well!

All clear!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @Rocco731

Thanks for the post,

I see you are looking to get a claim code for your printer and unable to access the printer. I will be glad to help. 

For the claim code for your printer, please follow the steps mentioned in this article.

If the printer is not responding or offline, please try the steps mentioned in these articles that are meant for Chrome OS. 

HP ePrint Capable Printers - Setting Up and Printing on a Chromebook

HP Printers - Using HP Print for Chrome

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I have tried both articles to no avail, and my printer is recognized by cloudprint. I think part of the problem is that in one of the char support sessions, hp tech recommended that I use a static IP - I think that's what was called - and told me to enter this number for the new ip addess: 192.168.1.250 . While my printer is connected to the internet, I cannot access this URL, as I could before with my old ip address. 

HP Recommended

Also, I double checked at the chrome store and could not find the extensiuon you advised. Could you please send me the linkl to that extension because it's not showing up in the search results. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, please click here for the extension for chrome. 

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

I was able to download the app. However, after adding the printer via its ip address and trying to print, I received the alert that it was unable to communicate with the printer. When I connected the USB, I received the alert that the software on the printer was not compatible. 

Is there a aware I can restore the printer's original ip address and remove the static one given by hp tech? 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to open the printer page by entering the ip address of the printer on a brower, this would let you know if the computer is able to communicate with the printer. 

Keep me posted,
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I can't open that page. As mentioned the ip address 192.168.1.250 is a static address given to me by hp tech. The page won't respond. That's why I've been asking for a way to reset the printer and restore the original ip address. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, request you to print a network diagnostics page from the printer control panel or click on the wireless icon on the printer control panel. It would provide you the ip address of your printer. Take that ip address and enter that ip address on the browser on your computer. 

Let me know if that brings up the printer page on the browser. If it does, use that ip address to configure the printer on your computer. 

Keep me posted,
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

the configuration is as follows:

ip address 192.168.1.250

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

default: 192.168.0.1

The ip address was given to me by hp chat to try to solve the problem of hpconnected stating my printer as offline. It didn't solve the problem. It is a static address - i think that is the name for it. When I try to access the url, I am told the website cannot be reached. This is why I've been asking for a way to reset to the old ip address. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.