Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Had this printer for a week, and have tried every solution I can find suggested in other threads but still can't solve it.The printer is setup, it's connected to my wireless network, the software is installed on two laptops and I can print from all of them. I can even scan and it shows up on my chosen laptop. However, I am not able to activate Web Services - the specific reason I bought the printer.

When I try to activate Web Services, the printer successfully checks for an update (none is available) but then says server connection error during the Contacting Web Services Server... stage. I get the same result whether I try to activate Web Services through the printer, through the web UI or through the driver installer on one of the PCs. According to the Network Configuration Page, the printer is properly taking an IP address (including DNS) from the router. I tried setting a static IP address through the web UI as well as changing the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with no improvement. I tried power cycling my router and I also tried setting the encryption settings on the printer manually rather than using automatic mode. I can use the Internet fine but Web Services will not activate on this printer.

Running Windows 7, 64-bit

My ISP: AT&T dsl (Austin, Tx)

Laptops & printer are using the same SSID & WPA-PSK

Router: Netgear WNDR3400v2, firmware V1.0.0.16_1.0.34

IPv4 (HP network config pg): 192.168.1.246, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1

Bonjour enabled

DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Proxy: none

UPnP enabled

I've tried all of this each day this week (thinking there was maintenance going on). What else can I try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When you were trying to set this up, it was probably failing due to some server maintenance that was going on over the weekend. Everything should be back up and running fine now, so I would try to enable web services again. If it still fails, let me know and we can try some other steps. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

When you were trying to set this up, it was probably failing due to some server maintenance that was going on over the weekend. Everything should be back up and running fine now, so I would try to enable web services again. If it still fails, let me know and we can try some other steps. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
Extremely frustrasting, but it finally connected today. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem with the 7510 I installed 2 days ago. Is the system still under maintenance?

what do you suggest to do?

HP Recommended

Everything Jen512 went through, I am reliving with a 7525.  I changed the DNS settings, etc. I have unplugged my router, my DSL, my printer, the whole nine yards.   Please advise what next steps I should take to connect/enable  Web Services to my Photosmart 7525.   Thanks in advance.. 

HP Recommended

I am also suffering the same problem (unable to connect to web services) on a new 7525 and looking for direction. 

HP Recommended

@RHobbs

I understand you are getting unable to connect to server error message on your printer. I would first unplug router and printer for about 1 minute. I would plug router up first then printer. I would then try to enable web services. If not successful and you get same error message. I would follow these steps.

1. Obtain your printer's IP address

a. This can be done by pressing the wireless icon on printer.

2. Enter the printer's IP address in a browser.

3. Select the network tab at the top of the page.

4. On the left select networking.

5. Select Network Address (IP)

6. Select Manual DNS Server

a. Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8

b. Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4

7. Select apply you might get a warning just select okay.

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Hello Gary,

I have tried what you suggested below, but it still does not work.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@Fcor

I sent a private message via the forum check your inbox.

HP Recommended

I spoke to someone at HP and they have solved my issue:

1) Follow the steps suggested earlier where you load the DNS and alternate DNS manually in the Network Tab    (after you put your printer IP address in your Windows browser).  

2) Then go to the Web Services tab, and clear out any information or numbers in the Port or Proxy Server fields, hit enter.

3) Unplug your printer, wait one minute, and then plug it back in.

4) Press the web services button, and it should connect....  your print out with the e-print confirmation number should follow and you are good to go...

Best of luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.