Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 5741
Microsoft Windows XP

I'm trying to setup my printer to use the instant ink.  When I ran the web access test report it came back with "This printer is currently configured with a gateway address that cannot be accessed. It gives me the solution of disconnecting the cord from the router for 30 seconds and then reconnecting it.  Turning the printer off and back on.  This didn't do anything.  Can anyone give me another solution?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @CuSB,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having some issues with enabling Web Services for Instant Ink on your Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done, on the printer click on the Wireless icon that looks like a radio tower now:

• If you see a line that says Status: Not Connected, the printer is not connected to a wireless network. Click on the gear and run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect your printer to your wireless network.
  • If the IP Address starts with 169.254, the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address from your router. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with your router to determine why the router is not assigning proper IP Addresses.
  • If the IP Address starts with 172, the printer is connected to a guest network. Contact your internet provider or whoever provided you with your router for assistance with disabling the guest network.
  • If the IP Address starts with 192.168 or 10, the printer is properly connected to a wireless network. Please see below.
  • If the IP Address starts with any other number, the network is being maintained. Contact whoever maintains your network for assistance.

Now, on the printer click on the web services icon in the bottom left corner of the display, then Accept and Yes to enable web services.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to enable web services and Instant Ink, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

hello, i am having the problem descrived here.  my IP Address starts with 192.168.  followed the instructions "click on the web services icon in the bottom left corner of the display, then Accept and Yes to enable web services." i am not able to pass "web access test report." i keep getting a attention message"this printer is crrently configure with a gateway address that cannot be accessed. on most networks, not having an accessible gateway address can prevent the printer from communicating over the network or accessing the internet".

HP Recommended

@nighthawkzjp

Welcome to HP Forums, 

this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand your printer gateway address can't be accessed,

Don't worry, here's a related HP Forums post that seemed to have helped others: Click here

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This solution doesn't work any more. On my HP OfficejJet 6968 it requires a valid gateway (and subnet) address.

HP Recommended

Hello Bowtiesarecool,

Thanks for showing your interest in the HP Forums! I see that you're having issues with the "gateway" and "subnet mask" on your HP OfficeJet 6968 Printer. I will certainly do my best to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

The "gateway" is the routers IP address and the subnet mask is a 32-bit number that masks an IP address. 

Have you made any changes to your router or its configuration?

Has this worked before or are you trying to enable Web Services for the first time?

I recommend that you restore the network settings and reconfigure the wireless on the printer.  

To restore the printer to the original network settings: 

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Network Setup.

3. Touch Restore Network Settings. A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.

4. Touch Yes. 5. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Set up the printer on your wireless network:

Use the Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer control panel display to set up wireless communication.

NOTE: Before you proceed, go through the list at Before you begin.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Wireless).

2. Touch ( Settings ).

3. Touch Wireless Settings.

4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.

5. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

-Source

Now that you have a fresh connection to the network, please try adding the DNS settings. 

Please use these steps as a guide:

First, please print a wireless test report to get the printer's IP address. 

1. Once you have the printer's IPV4 IP address, open your internet browser and enter the IP address in the address bar. 
2. Go to the Network or Wireless tab across the top. 
3. On the left-hand side click on Network or Wireless. 
4. Click on Network address (IPV4 address) 
5. From here you can set a static IP address and add DNS settings. 
6. On the DNS settings, change it to Manual. 
7. For the Preferred DNS enter: 8.8.8.8 and Alternate DNS: 8.8.4.4 (without periods) 
8. Click Apply. 
9. Try turning the printer off and on again. 
10. Press the Web Services icon again. 

I hope this information is helpful. Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.