Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart D110a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new modem/router.  My old deskjet is unable to hook up to the wireless network, even though it was successfully hooking up to the wireless network with the old router.  I have tried using the downloadable HP assistant.

I called my internet cable company (Spectrum) they were unable to fix the problem.  I called HP they were unable to fix the problem because my "warranty had expired."

Basically I have tried everything.  HP wants to charge me $20 to set up the old printer on the new wifi network with the new modem/router or they suggest I upgrade my device.  NOT FAIR HP!!!!

So far, the online information I have found has told me to go into the modem/router's configuration utility and find the authentication settings and change them to open.  When I go into my modem/router's configuration there is nothing that says "authentication settings."  So, I am unable to figure out how to do this.  I continually get the message that "your wireless router requires a WPA security passphrase.  The passphrase configured on your hP printer does not match exactly.  Run the wireless network setup to re-enter your wireless network WPA security passphrase."

I have tried this numerous times and checked and double checked that the password was correct.  I even tried changing the password because i thought possibly the password wasn't long enough.  I have tried passwords that are between 10 and 18 digits, but it never works.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Please use the following instructions to fix:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Please also note: Your printer supports 2.4GHz only therefore you need to check and allow your router to broadcast both (dual) bands which are 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry for your problems. Can you provide some additional information about your environment? 

1. What is the make / model of your new modem/router device? 
  2. Is the Wi-Fi network provided by your new modem/router device using the same configuration ( network name / password / authentication type)?  (BTW, I'm not asking you to provide your network password in your answer...)
  3. If the printer has a "Wireless Setup Wizard" in its menus, can it see your network? If not, try moving it closer to the modem/router.

Sometimes the "authentication type" is called other things like "encryption type" or "security type". The common answers are:

• Open
  • WEP
  • WPA Personal (also: "WPA PSK" or "WPA")
  • WPA2 Personal (also: "WPA2 PSK" or "WPA2")
  • Mixed WPA / WPA2 (allows both of the above 2)

If you find a setting with those options, try setting it to "open" to eliminate the password requirement, and see if it is able to connect to the network.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
How as this resolved. I have the exact same problem
HP Recommended

Hi @rypy518,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having connectivity issues on your HP printer. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the Product number of the printer? http://hp.care/2bygf7l

What is the Operating System installed on the PC? Windows or Mac OS

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

Have you installed the drivers for the printer?

In the meantime, let's start by performing a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you’re running Windows, I would start by checking the installed printer software by downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. This tool can diagnose and fix many printing and printer software related issues. Please use this link to help you with that information: http://hp.care/2biN2XE 

Please respond to this post with the details for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What is the Product number of the printer? Product number CN731A, Model number D110a

What is the Operating System installed on the PC?  Windows 10 Home

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless?  The printer works if it is connected by USB, but is not working wirelessly.

Have you installed the drivers for the printer?  Yes I have tried numerous times to install and then uninstall and reinstall the drivers to see if that was the issue.

This printer was made to be used wirelessly, and it isn't working wirelessly since getting a new modem/router from my internet service provider (Spectrum).

HP Recommended

This information did not help me.

HP Recommended

technicolor model number TC8715D

2. Is the Wi-Fi network provided by your new modem/router device using the same configuration ( network name / password / authentication type)?  (BTW, I'm not asking you to provide your network password in your answer...)

My wi-fi network name is Aloysius Snufflepagus.  The authentication type or security is WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).  

After finding the security type options (cut and pasted below) and reading them, I am guessing that the current hp printer I have (HP Photosmart Product number CN731A Model number D110a) is unable to connect to WPAWPA20PSK (TKIP/AES).  Is there anyway to upgrade the software of the printer in order for it to be able to connect to a WPA2 with AES?  I do not want to select the options that are less secure, since everything else I own is able to connect with the WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).  Just an FYI, I own a DVD/Blue Ray player that connects to wifi and is older than this printer, and it connects to this security setting with no problems.  This really seems more like it is a glitch with an HP product.

WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) (Recommended one)
This is the recommended and default option as it is compatible with most of the Wi-Fi devices.This mixed mode option will allow Wi-Fi devices to connect with WPA (with TKIP or AES encryption) or WPA2 (with TKIP or AES encryption). To achieve best Wi-Fi performace in this mode, the Wi-Fi devices must connect to the Gateway using WPA2 with AES encryption.
WPA2-PSK (AES)
Select this option only if you are sure that all the Wi-Fi devices in your home network support WPA2 with AES encryption. Any older Wi-Fi devices which doesn't support WPA2 and AES encryption will not be able to connect to your Wi-Fi network in this mode.
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
This mode will allow connectivity to Wi-Fi devices which support WPA with TKIP encryption only. It is advised to select the recommended one for better performance and compatibility with most of the Wi-Fi devices.
WPA-PSK (AES)
This mode will allow connectivity to Wi-Fi devices which support WPA with AES encryption only. Certain Wi-Fi device may not support this mode and won't be able to connect. It is advised to select the recommended one for better performance and compatibility with most of the Wi-Fi devices.
WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
This mode will allow connectivity to Wi-Fi devices which support WPA2 with TKIP encryption only. Certain Wi-Fi device may not support this mode and won't be able to connect. It is advised to select the recommended one for better performance and compatibility with most of the Wi-Fi devices.
WEP (64)
This is only applicable for legacy Wi-Fi devices. Using this option will impact your Wi-Fi performance and less secure. Select this option only if you have very old Wi-Fi device and if it does not support WPA or WPA2 option.
WEP (128)
This is only applicable for legacy Wi-Fi devices. Using this option will impact your Wi-Fi performance and less secure. Select this option only if you have very old Wi-Fi device and if it does not support WPA or WPA2 option.
Open (Risky)
This is not recommended as it is doesn't have any security and anybody can connect to your Wi-Fi network.

3. If the printer has a "Wireless Setup Wizard" in its menus, can it see your network? If not, try moving it closer to the modem/router.  

Yes, the printer can see my wifi in the list, it just will not allow me to connect and contines to state that the security passphrase does not match exactly. 

HP Recommended

@martinee73 wrote:

technicolor model number TC8715D

My wi-fi network name is Aloysius Snufflepagus.  The authentication type or security is WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).  

After finding the security type options (cut and pasted below) and reading them, I am guessing that the current hp printer I have (HP Photosmart Product number CN731A Model number D110a) is unable to connect to WPAWPA20PSK (TKIP/AES).  Is there anyway to upgrade the software of the printer in order for it to be able to connect to a WPA2 with AES?  I do not want to select the options that are less secure, since everything else I own is able to connect with the WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).  Just an FYI, I own a DVD/Blue Ray player that connects to wifi and is older than this printer, and it connects to this security setting with no problems.  This really seems more like it is a glitch with an HP product.

The "WPAWPA2-PSK" authentication type means it supports both WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK concurrently. Our printers support both WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK, but some APs / routers may implement this in a way that causes interoperability problems. Generally the best practice is to use the WPA2 PSK authentication type unless you have older devices that don't support WPA2 PSK. But this printer seems to be from about 2009 or so and its documentation doesn't seem to mention WPA2 at all, so it may not support it.

One thing to try: Change the authentication type to "WPA-PSK" and see if the printer is able to connect (and also see if there are devices that now fail to connect). This might indicate whether it is an interoperability problem with the printer and the authentication type implementation in the router.

I had asked previously whether you used the same Wi-Fi configuration (SSID, passphrase, authentication type) in your old router and new router. Were these the same in your old router? Did the printer connect to that router successfully?

One last thing to try: If your passphrase is long (e.g. longer than 15 characters) try changing the passphrase to something in the 8-12 character length range, and see if the printer can now connect. If I recall correctly, some of our older printers (this one is from around 2009) only supported shorter passphrase lengths, even though WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK themselves both support passphrases up to 63 characters long.

I'm sure these steps are tedious but they may lead us to a solution to your woes.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

If I change the security type to "WPA-PSK" then it is less secure.  I am no longer at the printer to change the configuration settings at this time, as I am at a different setting right now.  But I will try this the next time I have hours to work on this.  Honestly, I don't really have the time to spend figuring this out. And I have already spent more hours on this than I care to.  I shouldn't have to be some sort of tech person to make this work and I also shouldn't have to pay $20 to make it work or be forced to buy a new printer in order for the wireless printer to connect to a more secure wireless network.  

I do not have any clue what my previous router's settings were, as I never had to look into this before and the previous modem/router has been sent back to the internet service provider, spectrum.

I already tried changing the password to many different things already and no luck.  My current password is within the 8 to 12 characters range.

I am no longer at the printer to change the configuration settings at this time, as I am at a different setting right now.  But I will try this the next time I have hours to work on this.  I have already spent more hours on this than I care to.  I shouldn't have to be a tech person to make this work, I shouldn't have to pay $20 to make it work (as I was told over the phone by the tech person on the phone), or be forced to buy a new printer in order for the wireless printer to connect to a more secure wireless network.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.