Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hp Officejet Pro 8600 N911g Series

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You might want to post this on the fax board as this is regular fax and not eFax.

If I helped you at all it would be great if you clicked the blue kudos star!

If I solved your post please mark it as solved to help others.

I'm a printer tech with HP.

HP Recommended

smith4265,

According to the error code that you are receiving, there is too much noise on the phone line to establish a valid connection between the two fax machines. The only solution listed for this error is to wait and try again later to see if the line condition might have improved or to contact your phone company and let them know that you are experiencing this issue.

Here are a few things I would try first though. 

1. Press the right arrow and go into the setup menu.

2. Select the Fax Menu

3. Select Advanced Fax Setup

4. Turn Error Correction Mode (ECM) off

5. Set Fax Speed to slow

Changing those settings seems to resolve a lot of faxing issues, but if after trying those steps you continue get that error code or even another one, it is more than likely an issue with your fax line or the recieving fax line.

Here is a link with all the fax error codes, their description, and suggested solution:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu02549

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended
thank you so much, I read your advise, tryed it and now my fax is going through. problem solved again, thank you.
i thought it was going to take me days to get an answer. your wonderful.
HP Recommended

HI,  I am having the same problem right now.  I have had this fax for only a couple months and this is the first time this has happened.  I just tried your fix but it did not work for me.  Any other suggestions?  Thank you! 

HP Recommended

Hello Malakty,

I understand you are receiving "Error 388" when sending a fax. What type of printer do you have? Click here to find out: Model Number.

I will provide a HP document on Interpreting Error Codes in Fax Communication.

If you have preformed all the troubleshooting steps from this document, then please contact your Telephone provider since the line conditions are not improving.

Good Luck.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting the link to the error message listing.  FYI - nothing there was of any assistance to me.  However, when I changed 2 low ink cartridges (cyan and magenta), I was able to fax without a problem.  Note:  I had not received any warnings of "low ink", AND I was trying to fax in black - so why should 2 low ink color cartirdges interfere with that?!  I just sent a message to HP with these details.

Again, thanks for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.