Question

Honor Student
Iverie19
Message 1 of 6 (2,724 Views)

2.5" SSD in the Optical Drive slot

Hello, I wanted to know if it was possible to replace the Optical Drive bay of my HP Pavilion dv6 2129el with some adapter to make a 2.5" SSD fit in it, to be used along with the stock 2.5" HDD.

Since I don't use any DVD/CD's, I would use the SSD (60GB) as primary disk for my OS (Windows 7 64bit), and the HDD for files like photos, videos and stuff like that.

If it's possible, where can I get one of those adapters that is compatible with my computer?

Thanks.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 6 (2,709 Views)

Re: 2.5" SSD in the Optical Drive slot

[ Edited ]

You will not be able to get the BIOS to boot from the SSD when adapted to the Optical Drive Bay. You will have to install the SSD into the primary drive slot and reinstall the OS.

Here are some from e-bay, they are accept different sizes and some are SATA and IDE interface.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=optical+drive+adapter&_sacat=...

Make sure you measure the hard drive you intend to use, the higher capacity one are thicker.

Honor Student
Iverie19
Message 3 of 6 (2,706 Views)

OK thanks, so I'll put the SSD in the primary slot and the HDD in the optical drive. Or maybe I can just install the bootloader on the HDD.
The only thing that bothers me is that on my pc the outside frame has a particular design, which is also reproduced on the optical drive, I wonder if I'll be able to detach it and put it somehow on the adaptor, otherwise it'll just be ugly.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 6 (2,704 Views)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Optical-CD-Bay-Adapter-/140596245669?pt=PCC_Drives_Sto...

The above one is 12.7 mm thick which is probably the correct thickness for your laptop, the other link I gave you was for 9.5 mm, which may be too thin, measure your optical drive and be sure.

As for the face plate, ask the seller if they are removable so you can exchange it out with the one from your optical drive. Not sure if this can be done though. Consider a USB hard drive caddy and leave the optical bay as it is.

Honor Student
Iverie19
Message 5 of 6 (2,702 Views)

Good, thank you. Even though I think it's 9.5mm, I'll check again later removing the bay for a sec. The first one you gave me anyway was IDE, mine is SATA, but found one from the same seller.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 6 (2,695 Views)

I checked out that link again and I don't think the seller quite knows what he's got (it says one thing then another), I removed the link so someone with less knowledge doesn't accidentally buy it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation