Question

Student
Al_Goerner
Message 1 of 2 (765 Views)

Adding 2nd hard drive to ENVY dv7-7292nr

I bought the ENVY dv7-7292nr laptop 12 days ago.  It comes with a single 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive, but the dv7 series of laptops comes with 2 internal hard drive bays with SATA interfaces.  I purchases two 750 GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid (SSHD&HD) drives.  I successfully cloned the system drive.  However, when it comes to (what I thought) was the easier job of installing the 2nd data drive, there were, and stili are, problems:

• The 2nd drive is not recognized at all.  I confirmed that the drive operates correctly by putting it in an external housing.  The SATA interface or the cable seems to be defective.
  • I tried to test if it was the SATA cable by using the internal SATA cable from my previous (recently deceased) dv7.  The cable overheated and melted!

Now, I wonder if the laptop's second internal SATA interface is defective or if HP, for some incredibly stupid reason, disabled this interface, making a 2nd drive upgrade impossible.

Does anyone have any idea about what the @#$% is going on?

Al

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 2 (751 Views)

Re: Adding 2nd hard drive to ENVY dv7-7292nr

Al_Goerner wrote:

I bought the ENVY dv7-7292nr laptop 12 days ago.  It comes with a single 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive, but the dv7 series of laptops comes with 2 internal hard drive bays with SATA interfaces.  I purchases two 750 GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid (SSHD&HD) drives.  I successfully cloned the system drive.  However, when it comes to (what I thought) was the easier job of installing the 2nd data drive, there were, and stili are, problems:

• The 2nd drive is not recognized at all.  I confirmed that the drive operates correctly by putting it in an external housing.  The SATA interface or the cable seems to be defective.
  • I tried to test if it was the SATA cable by using the internal SATA cable from my previous (recently deceased) dv7.  The cable overheated and melted!

Now, I wonder if the laptop's second internal SATA interface is defective or if HP, for some incredibly stupid reason, disabled this interface, making a 2nd drive upgrade impossible.

Does anyone have any idea about what the @#$% is going on?

Al

Hi, see the DavidPK post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/Second-hard-drive-for-the-dv7-7047cl/td...

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation