Breathing new life into my TouchSmart (tm2-1090ed) (204 Views)
Tutor
mengsel
Message 1 of 7 (204 Views)

Breathing new life into my TouchSmart (tm2-1090ed)

[ Edited ]

Hey guys & girls, new to the forums, but I'd like to pick your brain on some suggestions and ideas...

A few years ago I bought a HP TouchSmart tm2-1090ed. Lately it's been sitting around gathering dust, so I thought I'd start breathing new life into it. It was a real smart little laptop when I bought it and the rotating touchscreen was really useful designing stuff. So anyway, here's what's up:

I want to:

• Add RAM
  • Replace HDD
  • Replace keyboard (it's broken now)
  • Replace battery
  • Install Windows 8.1

Apart from that, when I opened it up the first time I noticed a slot under the harddisk cover that sort of resembles PCI-E or something? Any ideas on what it is and what to do with it? I mean, if it's PCI-E or mSATA, I can buy a tiny SSD to plug in there and serve as boot disk. Or something else.

The fan is also really **bleep**ty. As with many HP products, it does very little to keep the machine from overheating. So I might consider replacing that, though it might be a bit difficult. Anyone experienced in replacing the fan?

Also, I called HP for info, but it turns out to be helll to get drivers for this laptop for Windows 8.1. I'm especially worried about the switchable graphics, and the little button on the side of the screen that changes screen orientation...

I'm gonna continue researching and post my progress here. And if you have any ideas, tips or suggestions, feel free to contribute =)

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (188 Views)

Re: Breathing new life into my TouchSmart (tm2-1090ed)

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

The thing that looks like a PCI-E slot is for WWAN (cellular modem). You cannot put an mSSD drive in there or anything other than a WWAN card. 

Memory maxes at 8 gigs. It is DDR3-1333 like this

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-ddr3/ct2kit25664bf1339

The fan is unique to the laptop and there is no other type of fan you can install. If yours is bad it would help to replace it, but there is no upgrade. 

We can probably locate generic Windows 8 drivers for all your hardware and the laptop is of an age where Windows 8/8.1 would likely have native drivers for all the hardware. Windows 7 drivers can usually be installed in compatibility mode so if you want 8.1 that is going to be OK. 

keyboard on eBay

Post back if you need more help.

Tutor
mengsel
Message 3 of 7 (139 Views)

Hi Huffer! Thanks for your info!

So far the upgrades are going smoothly -- I've installed the new keyboard, cleaned out the guts of the system and currently in the process of cloning the HDD (partially) to an SSD. However, I've run into a snag...

I've bought an upgrade kit for the RAM fro my local go-to hardware supplier. It's a Crucial 8GB (2x 4GB) kit with the following specs:

2 - 4GB DDR3 - 1333

SODIMM 1.35V 204PIN

(CT2KIT51264BF1339J)

The same kit at BestBuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/crucial-8gb-kit-4gbx2-204-pin-sodimm-ddr3-pc3-10600-memory-module/130919...

Unfortunately, replacing my current 2x2GB sticks with this results in nothing at all. In fact, thought the system powers up, the screen remains dark and nothing happens except I hear the fan going at it for a few seconds before everything goes silent.

Any guess on what's the problem here?

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 7 (133 Views)

I have to admit "my bad" here for linking you to the crucial memory they post for this model. If you look at the Service Manual, it actually takes DDR3-1066 memory and it is not low voltage. In other words it is 1.5 volt memory not 1.35 volt memory. Crucial is suggesting faster low voltage memory for quite a few older HP systems that in fact need slower 1.5 volt memory. So in reality this is what you need:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/dm50-223-1/

I have learned to second guess crucial which I never had to do until recently. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Tutor
mengsel
Message 5 of 7 (79 Views)

Thanks for the correction. Luckily, I was able to exchange the first kit for one matching the specs.

I've bought:

http://www.corsair.com/en/cm3x8gsdkit1066

Unfortunately, sticking those bad boys into my system still causes problems: while the system powers up the screen stays pitch black, I see the control light on my Caps Lock key flashing and that's about it. Nothing happens... Any ideas?

Tutor
mengsel
Message 6 of 7 (53 Views)

... Or maybe someone else can offer some help? I'm afraid I've wasted 80 euro's (like, $100, or so) on unusable memory chips =/

Tutor
mengsel
Message 7 of 7 (32 Views)

I am a little disappointed.

Following your instructions I've spent a hunderd euro's worth of hardware that is currently unusable.

I know, of course, you are not legally responsible in any way and your help in itself was of course much appreciated.

And I hate to sound ungrateful.

Still, it's a pity you're no longer responding, after I bought the mem chips according to your suggested specs, which are now sitting on my desk, useless.

=/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation