Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have an HP EliteBook 8440p with an i5 processor and I noticed that the same model comes in an Intel Core i7-720QM quad core version using the same chipset.

Is it possible to buy that particular CPU and upgrade the laptop?

If so, is there any more steps I should take?

Is a BIOS upgrade necessary?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02745864/c02745864.pdf

Please see chapter 1, page 1-1 for the list of supported processors.

I checked chapter 3 for the list of motherboards and it does not appear there is a different motherboard needed for your model to install a quad core i7 processor.

I have read for some model notebooks there are separate boards for the dual core processors and quad core processors.

The system boards listed in this manual only indicate with discrete or UMA (shared) video.

BIOS updates...looks like there are 2 series. One that goes from F.02 - F.13 and one series that goes from F.20 to F.21

If you have F.20 or F.21 installed, no BIOS update is necessary.

If you have less than F.0B, then I recommend you update the BIOS to F.13 at least.

Read the release notes and you will see where support was added for some processors with F.0B.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

You should be able to get a processor from any reseller or on eBay

Read the service manual above, which will tell you what you need to do to change out the processor.

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02745864/c02745864.pdf

Please see chapter 1, page 1-1 for the list of supported processors.

I checked chapter 3 for the list of motherboards and it does not appear there is a different motherboard needed for your model to install a quad core i7 processor.

I have read for some model notebooks there are separate boards for the dual core processors and quad core processors.

The system boards listed in this manual only indicate with discrete or UMA (shared) video.

BIOS updates...looks like there are 2 series. One that goes from F.02 - F.13 and one series that goes from F.20 to F.21

If you have F.20 or F.21 installed, no BIOS update is necessary.

If you have less than F.0B, then I recommend you update the BIOS to F.13 at least.

Read the release notes and you will see where support was added for some processors with F.0B.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

You should be able to get a processor from any reseller or on eBay

Read the service manual above, which will tell you what you need to do to change out the processor.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Paul.

I have found some sellers of  i7-720QM and I will try to upgrade it very soon. I will post my results here.

My only concern now is the extra heat. Although, I asssume the fan and heatsink will be able to cope. They are the same as the ones used in the i7 models.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I overlooked the cooling solutions. If there is only one fan/heatsink part # listed, that is good for all processors.

Just make sure you apply your thermal compound properly for good heat transfer, and you should be OK.

Looking forward to reading about your successful upgrade.

Paul

HP Recommended

There is one thing that troubled me when I compared the specs of the different CPU's available for this machine.

According to the manual bellow, all of the models of the 8440 are using the same chipset.

But, I noticed that whenever a Quad Core CPU was used, there was also a discrete graphics card present too. My model (8440p) has UMA and I looked to see if there are intergrated graphics differences on the CPU's.

hp.JPG

And indeed, comparing the i7-720M with the i7-620M and i5-540M, I see that in the CPU's suggested in the UMA configurations (i7-620M and i5-540M) had intergrated graphics capabilities. While the i7-720M used with a discrete GPU, has no intergrated graphics.

So, is it right to assume that at my current configuration I can only go for CPU's with intergrated graphics?

And if that is true, is it possible to add a Quad core (non-intergrated graphics) CPU by adding also an Nvidia N10M-GLM GPU?

hp2.JPG

hp3.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi:

Your questions are beyond my area of knowledge, but I share your concerns.

There may indeed be a limiting factor that is not mentioned in the service manual or the general specs.

It certainly would be wise to stick with a processor that is offered with the UMA graphics to guarantee compatiblity.

I can answer the one question for you...

In order to do any graphics modifications, you need to replace the entire motherboard for the one with the discrete nVidia GPU.

Even though the GPU's are "discrete," they are also integrated chips soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be upgraded or replaced without the entire motherboard being replaced.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello. I am wondering if it may be possible for me to upgade my motherboard. My laptop is the HP Elitebook 8440p.

I have the following specs but am not sure if it would be possible to replace my motherboard with the one equipped with the Nvida NVS 3100M. Is it possible to do so with my current specs? I have a motherboard with Intel video card right now and would like to upgrade.

--Specs--

8GB DDR3 RAM

Intel i5 processor

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

232GB Hard Drive?

Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! 

HP Recommended

hi

I'm also looking at the same quandry.  Whilst there are resellers (ebay) that have the CPU and mainboard. there are some parts that are the same, Heatsinks such as one although there are two part numbers alot of the resellers quote both so it would be an assumption to say they both fit and cover the required components.

There are some differences in some of the parts, such as the indicator panel below the screen (where Wifi icon sits) that appear to be different (although stock pictures show the same icons on both 8440p and 8440w). 

In theory yes this should be possible as the mainboard can support the current CPU and memory for a partial upgrade.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I to have the same issue, i looked into the upgrade of the laptop both MB and CPU.  It appears the fastest CPU (dual core) is the I7-620M can fit the dual core Board (8440P) however if the MB swap is done effectively making it the 8440W, then the MB can run the faster CPU's however it can run the current dual core CPU and RAM etc as a halfway upgrade.

There are a few sublte changes like CPU cooler and the strip above the keyboard. however the Heatsink shares across both and maybe the strip is similar as it has the same icons.

I'm runnin i5-540M 6GB ram 250gb HDD

HP Recommended

Hello everyone.
I replace my processor I5 with an I7 but my screen does not turn on.
Do you think I can do something 'easy' or will I have to change the motherboard too?
I am under W7 64 bits
thanking you in advance

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.