Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

The only complaint on this laptop is that it is very low, so I was wondering if I can upgrade this laptops cpu?This laptop has a 1.66 ghz Intel Centrino Duo Core2 T5500 processor and only has 1gb of memory and I can only upgrade memory to 2gb. So the questions are: If so, where can I find what is compatible? or is this laptop a lost cause due to age.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's a dv2130us and the Manual is still available here:

Manual

It will accept up to a T7200 Intel processor. 

With a BIOS update you can install 4 gigs of RAM, by the way. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the full model/product of your machine actually ? Please use the following instructions for find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv2000

RG498UA#ABA

HP Recommended

It's a dv2130us and the Manual is still available here:

Manual

It will accept up to a T7200 Intel processor. 

With a BIOS update you can install 4 gigs of RAM, by the way. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

HP Recommended

The T5500 and t7200 both have a 667mhz FSB bus speed so the previously mentioned T8100 (800mhz FSB) won't work unless the motherboard has selectable bus speed to support that model.  The T7200 is probably good advice since they are reasonably priced, but there should be no hardware conflicts running a T7400 or T7600 cpu, both identical to the T7200 but with faster clock speeds and unless there is a bio limitation that can't be addressed with an update they should be compatible, but If you're doing this on a budget the one suggest is your best option. If it is possible to run an 800mhz FSB cpu in this model I can probably help you as I have a box full of them, some I've been donating to members to help them upgrade old laptop and others I've been asking for about the cost of a cup of coffee. I'd really like to see these chips being used and avoid my last resort which is selling them as salvage for gold recovery which would be very unfortunate forpristine chips in good working order. 

It's also good advice for the ram, but many laptops in this genre may recognise 4gb with a bios upgrade but have a chipset limitation of 3gb. This is different than the limit imposed on 32bit end-user windows versions, so it's possible you may have your bios report 4gb but windows report only 3gb useable even with 64bit windows installed. It's typical of these models to use PC2-5300 sodimm DDR2 ram and they generally have 2 slots. If your laptop came with 1gb installed you need to find out if it has a single 1gb module or two 512kb modules. If you need any 1gb modules I also have a rather large pile of them that I'd be willing to trade for virtually anything of equal value. If you want to go beyond 2gb you'll need at least one 2gb module which retail for about $40 but I just purchased some for half that price. The 1gb modules are about $4-5 each and the 512kb are only worth their weight in scrap gold so I usually give them away when I get them. 

There are many ways to get these old laptops upgraded for very little cost and you'd be surprised at how much improvement you'll get when you upgrade from 1gb of ram.  As for the CPU you will get more improvement from the L2 cache size than the clock speed.If I recall your t5500 is a 1.66ghz core2 duo with 2mb of L2 cache and the T7200 is 2.0ghz, not a huge increase but the L2 cache is twice the size with 4mb which will improve your performance when multitasking. Most benchmark tests measure only clock speed but in realworld performance the cache is more important.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.