Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario V5204NR
Microsoft Windows XP

I'm to boost the performance of my dated laptop. It has 2gigs of RAM and I cannot recall what speed but I want to upgrade to a faster CPU. What can my bios handle?

I am wanting to know if I can upgrade it to a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. I have read online that I can upgrade to a Core Duo but does the new CPU have to match the current CPU's FSB speed?

Does FSB speed have to match the RAM speed or vice versa? I'm still new to all this computer jargon and terminology.

Also would upgrade the hard drive to a faster speed improve performance? I cannot recall if I have a 5400 or a 7200 rpm speed. How big can I go?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got the Intel T1350 installed and it works. Definitely seems to run better than the Celeron M 410.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

The motherboard has 940GML chipset with FSB 533 MHz, while the 667 MHz RAMoutside may not exceed that often work at 533 MHz.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=EZ429UAR

430199-001Motherboard (DF) with Centrino technology - Includes the Intel 940GML chipset - Includes RTC battery

In theory only it supports Celeron processors Socket M

http://ark.intel.com/products/27876/Intel-82940GML-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller

Regards

HP Recommended

Well that bites. I'll see if I can get the Core Duo with a FSB of 533 to work though seeing how cheap they are.

How would I go about finding what chipset I have on  laptop? Is there some kind of program or command prompt or menu option?

HP Recommended

There are utilities that you can use:

CPU-Z , HWiNFOSpeccy

Regards

emaze3a3.jpg

HP Recommended

Am I running the correct/fastest speed Memory for this laptop?

5204nr.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi,

I do not see the image because it must be moderate, but I guess I could show you 266.5 MHz or similar value must be multiplied by 2 because the transfer rate is double, DDR double data rate.

Regards

HP Recommended
I have one stick of 2gb centon pc2-5300 in there.
Anyhow I found out I have a 120 gb hd 7200rpm. I also tried the core duo t2050 and t2250. Both do not turn on the computer. I also think the core 2 duo will not work either. Hoping the core solo t1350 will work when it comes in. I also cleaned out the cooling fins since a lot of fiber was blocking the flow path of te cooling fins.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The frequency of memory is good, the pocesador in theory only supports Celeron, but perhaps Core solo can be installed, there is a web and you maybe you saw, this specific issue of compatibility is detailed with the chipset 940GML:

Yes the 940GML can be upgraded past the Celerons! | NotebookReview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/yes-the-940gml-can-be-upgraded-past-the-celerons.155958/

Regards

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

edit. got confused to what chipset was what. I was looking at the graphics 945 number instead of the cpu chipset.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.