Question

Student
NathanS
Message 1 of 3 (1,931 Views)

Can I upgrade my Pavilion dm4 Graphics Card?

I have the HP Pavilion dm4-1160us and I was wondering if it was at all possible to upgrade my graphics card?  Currently I have not modified my system at all, I still have all default hardware.  Intel HD integrated graphics is simply not powerful enough for the games I wish to play on my system, and if it's soldered into my mother board, I'd even be willing to potentially upgrade the motherboard if it would get me at HD3000 graphics, not necessarily a dedicated graphics card. I appreciate any help anyone can provide, thanks. :smileyhappy:

Tutor
giorov
Message 2 of 3 (1,905 Views)

Re: Can I upgrade my Pavilion dm4 Graphics Card?

I'm pretty sure you can't! hp isn't so great with offering upgrade options

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 3 of 3 (1,900 Views)

Re: Can I upgrade my Pavilion dm4 Graphics Card?

Notebooks in general are not intended to be upgraded and modified with key components.  This isn't just with HP so much as it is just how notebooks are designed.  There are some rare exceptions, but the notebooks that are capable and designed for this type of feature typically come with a premium price. 

The graphics card is typically soldered directly onto the motherboard, so the motherboard would need to be upgraded.  However, this may also require several other components to be upgraded as well and finding one that fits the notebook case with existing components may prove to be more costly in the end in terms of time and money. 

If this is something you wish to pursue, I recommend reading this document created by Erico (a community expert). 

The original discussion with this document can be found here.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation