Question

Honor Student
Rrs6675
Message 1 of 5 (2,978 Views)

Computer won't start after upgrading new ram

I have a hp 530 notebook with 2 ram slots 2
with 512 mb in each slot. I removed the old memory & installed 2 1gig bars in the slots. My computer would not boot after that so I reinstalled the old memory & the computer stii won't boot. Please help if you have any advice.
Honor Student
razorsedgephoto
Message 2 of 5 (2,925 Views)

Re: Computer won't start after upgrading new ram

I tried the same thing with my DV6 1060us laptop it would not boot up gave the blue screen memory dump everytime. We checked HP's site and Cruzials and it was the correct ram. Luck for me when we put the old ram in it worked fine. Sounds like you need to upgrade your BIOS before upgrading your ram.

Tutor
djtatty
Message 3 of 5 (2,916 Views)

Put it in the other slot,also make sure the RAM sticks read & write speeds match up i.e (PC2 DDR2 1xR? 6400s - 444 - 12c) This is just an example of what you should be looking to match up.

you can use different speed RAM as you are replacing the old one compleately, but for now try & use the same speed as your old one, just incase it can't handle a faster stick of RAM.

if that doesn't work,take out the battery,plug in the power supply, then press & hold the power button down for about 10 - 15 seconds...this resets the board.

GOOD LUCK.

Student
leonelhpfm3
Message 4 of 5 (2,872 Views)

I am having the SAME ISSUE with my DV7-3160 I want to upgrade the RAM from its 2 x 2g with 2 x 4g to max it out with 8g.

I will try your ^ recommendation to remove the battery, plug the cord in and hold the pwr button for 10-15 seconds see if tha resets the board and works. fingers crossed!

Tutor
djtatty
Message 5 of 5 (2,855 Views)

the only thing you can put in yours to max it out is 2 sticks of : 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC RAM, BUT MAKE SURE YOU INSTAL OR HAVE INSTALLED A 64BIT VERSION OF WINDOWS.

Other wise your just wasting your time, coz a 32bit OS can only read 3GB of ram.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation