DV7 graphics card...possible to upgrade? (8324 Views)
Tutor
SoCal722
Message 1 of 5 (8,324 Views)

DV7 graphics card...possible to upgrade?

I was just curious if the DV7-4180us graphics card (Radeon HD 5650) was among the few that can be upgraded.

Also if anyone could give a quick explanation to this, as I'm a bit of a computer novice when it comes to understanding all the details.

I upgraded my RAM from the 4GB to 8GB and noticed when I run the Dxdiag, under the Display tab, my Approx. Total Memory shot from 2.6GB to just over 4GB. In short, it just means the graphics card has more RAM but it's not necessarily faster correct?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (8,321 Views)

Re: DV7 graphics card...possible to upgrade?

Hi:

Below is the link to the dv7 series service manual.

Video adapters are normally not replaceable or upgradable in notebooks as the video chip is soldered to the motherboard--even if it is a discrete video adapter nowadays. Yours is no exception. The video chip cannot be upgraded.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02666747.pdf

Your statement about the memory is basically correct. Your video card now has more available system memory should it need it. It is not dedicated, but available.  This means this memory is also available for other tasks as well. So, your video card will seem faster if it needs the greater amount system memory to perform. I doubt you will notice any difference unless you are into some heavy gaming.

If the system memory was reserved for the video card, then it can only be used for the video card.

Also, none of this memory allocation can be redirected by the user.

Paul

Tutor
SoCal722
Message 3 of 5 (8,319 Views)

Thank you for the quick reply, that was exactly the answer I needed and the link was a great addition.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 5 (8,313 Views)

You're very welcome.

Enjoy your new HP notebook.

Paul

Student
Massacody1
Message 5 of 5 (4,372 Views)

Hey I have a Nividia 650 GT m 2GB in my HP dv7. Is it possible to replace the graphics card? And if so what are my options?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation